What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus appreciation thread

note that the clump is being fueled by that small piece of rhizome...so some of those buds will not grow too large. A root rhizome placed horizontally like that sprouts multiple times....however, in my case, 2/4 buds were the most developed. Placing the rhizome vertically makes a larger single plant.

I love cephs, heres mine. I am still trying to learn the correct conditions. this one has died back to the rhizome 2X
PIC
ceph090108.jpg

peace,
Zero

Updated picture of my Cephalotus. I took some moss from a garden outside and used it as a top dressing to the peat/perlite soil.

Audrey.jpg

At this point only own one cephalotus, but im going to buy a couple more, i want small ones, so I can get them aclimated to the current conditions that I have and ensure they will grow and mature OK.

Cindy - that first rhizome is going to be a massive clump! I counted seven (maybe eight) buds in the span of about what - a half inch?

Have you ever tried dividing the rhizome once the buds form to space out the growth? Would this be detrimental to all the buds?

xvart.

xvart, this is the first time I have rhizomes placed on live sphagnum moss to see how they produce the buds. Other times I just bury them in media and hope for them to grow. Not sure if dividing them works but I would think that a few of the buds would be lost unless they have a tiny piece of the rhizome attached to them. Other than sushi chefs, I can't think of anyone who can slice so thinly and accurately. :-))

vraev said:
note that the clump is being fueled by that small piece of rhizome...so some of those buds will not grow too large. A root rhizome placed horizontally like that sprouts multiple times....however, in my case, 2/4 buds were the most developed. Placing the rhizome vertically makes a larger single plant.

Varun, I totally agree with you on this point. I read it somewhere before or maybe someone mentioned it before...I think it was Phill Mann. I have one large piece of rhizome stuck vertically in media and it has just started producing new growth. Hmm...I could try with the rhizome bits that I showed here since there are a few of them.

hey, I have a question, it's normal if some of the pitchers (the older ones) on my Ceph are turning like yellow?

yup! its totally normal. As long as you are seeing steady growth from the plant, loss of pitchers is totally normal. If you see a sudden loss of multiple pitchers which had otherwise developed independently at diff times, then you might have a problem.

Ok...

I see maybe 3 or 4 new pitchers (relly baby ones)... only 2 look yellow, and are from the first ones that my ceph develop after I get it (3 months old I will say), so I think they are just old and its time for them to go... for the rest all look bigger and green!

some of my "classics"
(large file size)
ceph_hg_sm.jpg

ceph_typicals_sm.jpg

hg_flower.jpg

misc_flowers2.jpg

ceph_typical2.jpg

cephalotus2.jpg

Cheers'
Av

Well figure I'd toss a few in here though I fear I can not compete with Av...

P8190009.jpg

P8190008.jpg

P8190011-1.jpg

Overwhelming. Amazing pictures Av8tor

And when the master posts shots of his own plants, the student has to make way. Atleast for now. ;) lol! Nice shots B! Your lights are really spectacular. If only I had enough cooling to manage those T5's. :(

geeze Varun, now you gonna go and upset the ceph gods...

(making a circle of chicken blood around plant rack and sacrificing 17 virgin fly larva)

hehehe, but it doesnt take T5, the "purple" ceph pic was when i was still using T12 (but a special bulb combo ;) )

Actually, the T5 is a little much for the cephs... that is why i have them placed all the way at one end with the light only partially above them. They would prob do better on the lower rack if I had room.

Butch

Butch, how is T5 too much for Cephs? I have mine under them. Yikes...

lol B! :p

well..... its always better to have more light than less light. :p

Cindy,

It isn't really anything I can put my finger on... but they were happier with the T12 bulb combo I was using.

Those bulbs were of a very specific set of wavelengths that are not yet available in the T5 format. AFAIK, the rare earth red phosphor used in those bulbs is proprietary and not found in any other bulb...

Im guessing that they are now getting too much energy in the 500-550nm spectra (wavelength antagonism?), but that is just a gut feeling. I have the instruments needed to identify specific wavelength frequencies, but I can only make quantitative measurements of energy levels.

Jeff (JMatt) and I have talked about this before, he has had the same observations...

Don't get me wrong, they do well.... but there is always room for improvement ;)

But now for helis..... well, the pictures speak for themselves. I have yet to see anything else come anywhere close to the performance of the T5 format.

Butch

I really appreaciate you growers who can provide the conditions for these amazing plants. I am still too green behind the ears to think about cephs yet. Maybe next year...

Thanks, Butch. My plants are producing good growth again after root mealies. Now that the weather is getting more cool, I will at least get to see decent sized pitchers. The plants were under T5 the whole time. I have since moved them out to natural light.

Here's a neat photo. It's misted (I felt like misting the tank for some odd reason).
SN852399.jpg

Here's a neat photo. It's misted (I felt like misting the tank for some odd reason).
SN852399.jpg

That just goes to show how hairy Cephalotus is.

Back