What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus appreciation thread

very nice! though I have a question about seed grown cephs. If you divide them (all devisions have roots and growth points) are they all now just devisions, is 1 still seed grown (how would you know?), or do they all just count as seed grown?

I'm pretty sure they would still be seedgrown. o.o

Technically, since the division was from a seed-grown plant, it would obviously have the same genetic origin as the seed; but when purchasing a seed-grown plant, it is understood that it is specifically a plant which has been germinated from seed and nothing less. In that case, you would simply have to trust the grower as to its origin.

The seeds from the Cephalotus in the photos above were from a friend in Queensland . . .

It would be a division from a seed grown plant.

xvart.

All my cephs

Hey guys,

Here are pics of all my cephs. Except the big one...all the others were started by leaf, pitcher or root cuttings. Almost all of them started off directly with adult pitchers after a few leaves...which was pretty amazing to see.

Main ceph:

3072477212_247f4290dc.jpg
3071641385_59f02be20e.jpg

Cephalotus from divisions:

Ceph2 & 7: Root division placed vertically and a leaf cutting growing beside it.

3071641767_535da32d12.jpg

Ceph 3: Root division placed horizontally

3072478364_35e61ebe2a.jpg

Ceph 4: Pitcher pulling

3072478844_0d6bab9ce8.jpg

Ceph 5: Leaf pulling

3071643115_7a1458a58e.jpg

cheers,

varun

Very nice. So would you say that vertical root cuttings have worked better for you?
I was recently very pleased to find that my Ceph rhizome, which I repotted just a couple of weeks ago after a sudden dieback and with virtually no roots, has popped out two new growth points and recovered the three that seemed previously to be on the verge of death. It's now making clusters of winter leaves, of which it's only made one or two per season previously. These are rapidly becoming one of my favorite plants.
~Joe

Very nice! I can't wait for my ceph to come! (I promise to post pics when it comes, no worries!)

Well seedjar, the vertical root cutting has as you can see...given me a more mature bigger ceph than the multiple shoots formed from the horizontally placed one. BUT NOTE:: The vertical root cutting already had a growth tip on the top. So esentially it was a cylinder with a growth tip on the very top but no roots. It would be my assumption that even if didn't have the growth point at the top...it would still have produced a bigger single plant that can arise from one main point on the cutting rather than distributing the energy at multiple points on the cutting.

Interesting results, Varun. Thanks for sharing.

xvart.

Vraev: Your ceph is amazingly huge! I'm very impressed.

outstanding progress V, it was just about a year ago when you had just one lil adult pitcher that was sick as can be....
now look at ya mate,

Very nice!
Av

thanks B! :) Yup! You are right. :) I have learnt a lot of which the most important lesson was : See and understand the plant's response to your conditions and modify accordingly.

Here's an updated picture of my Cephalotus (which I named "Audrey Junior")

As you can probably see, it's producing it's first new leaf in months

cephalotus1.jpg

Thought I'd post a pic of one of my cephs.

ceph1_11-20-08.jpg

ceph11-20-08.jpg

WOW! That is pretty tall!

That is RIDICULOUS. But haven't you already divided them a long time ago?

Thanks for the comments.

That is RIDICULOUS. But haven't you already divided them a long time ago?
This is one of the plants from that division I made a long time ago. When I divided the plant it was in a 4" plastic pot. This plant is in a 6" ceramic pot.

Here's the old thread:
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103406

The plant that I posted is from one of those peat pots from the above thread.

WOW!!! That is the biggest Ceph. I Have ever seen!!!:0o:

Back