What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus appreciation thread

damn! thats an insane growth rate. That means it went from nearly 4 to 40 or 60 pitchers in like 6 months??? damn! do u fertilize your plants?

damn! thats an insane growth rate. That means it went from nearly 4 to 40 or 60 pitchers in like 6 months??? damn! do u fertilize your plants?

Check the date of the post when I split the plant. It was back in 06. So it took 2 years 6 months to reach the size it is now.

Here's a picture I had posted in the splitting thread that was from 9/6/07
cephtyp.jpg

I do not fertilize my plants but will feed them small mealworms from time to time.

Egads, dude! You can be a retailer! Welcome to TF.. and be prepared for visitors!

Question: How do I make my Cephalotus grow faster? Will more light or fertilizer help?

Question: How do I make my Cephalotus grow faster? Will more light or fertilizer help?
Av8tor1 explains a few of his 'secrets' in another thread iirc. If I'm in the mood & find a bug, I'll toss it in a pitcher instead of the trash. However, too large of a bug and the pitcher will rot & die. :nono:

I do not fertilize my plants but will feed them small mealworms from time to time.
Hey - that counts!! :-D

That's a pretty crazy ceph you've got growing there Mr. Gecko! So, is that one going on the market or being divided into 20 different clumps?

I repotted 2 recently from 2.5" pots into 4" pots that I plan to let grow for a while. One's on my windowsill and the other stayed with his friends in the terrarium.

I'm pretty sure Av8tor1 explained in one of my previous threads. IMO, feeding and fertilizing would help, but I would feed it with bugs to be on the safe side. Then again, it's just bouncing back from...whatever happened, so be patient. And besides, Cephalotus is supposedly one of the slower growing CPs.

Edit: Link. http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116069

Av8tor1 explains a few of his 'secrets' in another thread iirc. If I'm in the mood & find a bug, I'll toss it in a pitcher instead of the trash. However, too large of a bug and the pitcher will rot & die. :nono:

Hey - that counts!! :-D

That's a pretty crazy ceph you've got growing there Mr. Gecko! So, is that one going on the market or being divided into 20 different clumps?

I repotted 2 recently from 2.5" pots into 4" pots that I plan to let grow for a while. One's on my windowsill and the other stayed with his friends in the terrarium.

Thanks Ron. That plant will get split up when the time comes. It still has loads of space in that pot before I need to do that......

That is true Ron, but when it comes to CP's and someone asks do I fertilize the plants, what comes to my mind is commercial powder fertilizer and misting the plants or pitcher feeding. :blush:

I do not have luck with cephs on the windowsill. When fall comes around the windowsill plants get a white powdery fungus on the leaves and pitchers. This happened the first time I tried it, so this year I was prepared and let the pots dry out a lot more then usual. I still got the fungus. I guess the lower light levels and how cold I keep the house just do not work for windowsill cephs.

how is a bug fertilizer? It is just replacing the ants the cephs might have eaten in the wild.

Keeping them cool helps. With my temperature, I get bigger plants with numerous immature pitchers!

Opps! :p I guess I saw the year wrong. ;p lol! man! truly fantastic ceph though. I can't wait (just another year and a half to go) :p to hopefully reach that stage of overflowing ceph pitchers. ;) . Thanks for sharing. I feed by cephs crickets occassionally as well.

Check the date of the post when I split the plant. It was back in 06. So it took 2 years 6 months to reach the size it is now.

Here's a picture I had posted in the splitting thread that was from 9/6/07
cephtyp.jpg

how is a bug fertilizer?

Um...since it would eat a bug, it'll get nutrients from the bug, giving it a little boost? Just like with any other CP.

Um...since it would eat a bug, it'll get nutrients from the bug, giving it a little boost? Just like with any other CP.

lol, I meant its not like he is doing it to make the plant grow better, it is just something the plant would do by itself if it was outside. My idea of fertilizer is more like something you buy and is artificial.

So, are you asking if they technically fertilize themselve in the wild? Because it pretty much is the reason why they turn carnivorous! To supplement nutrients (you probably already know that, though :p).

SG05DEC08.jpg

This is my Giant ceph. Largest pitchers, from bottom to top of the teeth, are just shy of two inches at present.
And that's a Canadian quarter....

Those are some giant pitchers, great job.

Very nice. I am going to have to show my Ceph some of these pictures for motivation. :D

Holy moly! That's HUGE.

Back