What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus appreciation thread

Feedme, good idea, envy will sure make that ceph grow!

Wow, cephs look so awsome i need to get myself a baby one! Where can i get one? And can they grow in 50/50 peat perlite?

Kamil

Wow, cephs look so awsome i need to get myself a baby one! Where can i get one? And can they grow in 50/50 peat perlite?

Kamil

Cephs prefer a more drained mix. Yes, you can grow them in a 50/50 mix of peat and perlite, but they will probably do better with more perlite or sand.

I'll send you a PM for where to get a Ceph

Very awesome ceph! Those pitchers are huge!

Yes, you can grow them in a 50/50 mix of peat and perlite
I disagree. I think this mix would ultimately lead to root rot in the end.
Check out this link for some good care tips, as well as soil mixes.

I disagree. I think this mix would ultimately lead to root rot in the end.
Check out this link for some good care tips, as well as soild mixes.

I don't seem to have a problem growing them in mostly sand and peat. I threw in just a little orchid bark for seasoning but not too much. I also water on the tray method. I guess I just break all the rules. When I repot I turn them over, rinse them off, whatever. Sure I lose some leaves but they are plants, it grows back.

In the last year I haven't lost a plant, and those are 2" pots (except the one) so I'm also breaking the overpotting rule.

I do let the tray dry out for a couple days before watering again, but thats really about it. So far I don't see what the fuss is about.

I do not have luck with cephs on the windowsill. When fall comes around the windowsill plants get a white powdery fungus on the leaves and pitchers. This happened the first time I tried it, so this year I was prepared and let the pots dry out a lot more then usual. I still got the fungus. I guess the lower light levels and how cold I keep the house just do not work for windowsill cephs.
Hmmm - interesting & odd. My 'outside' Cephs overwinter in the basement (w/ the VFTs) and see temps from 40's to 60's *F and have pretty crummy, weak lights down there. So far, no fungal issues w/ these guys [as he knocks on wood]. These plants are typically the ones to flower also each summer. I normally have one on my office, east-facing windowsill as well (I did all of last winter & another one this year). No auxilliary lighting so it has the poorest light of all & the shortest photoperiod. Have never noticed any sign of fungus.... Do you have any pics of this?

I don't seem to have a problem growing them in mostly sand and peat. I threw in just a little orchid bark for seasoning but not too much. I also water on the tray method. I guess I just break all the rules. When I repot I turn them over, rinse them off, whatever. Sure I lose some leaves but they are plants, it grows back.

In the last year I haven't lost a plant, and those are 2" pots (except the one) so I'm also breaking the overpotting rule.

I do let the tray dry out for a couple days before watering again, but thats really about it. So far I don't see what the fuss is about.

Sand, peat, and orchid bark drains much better than 50/50 peat and perlite. Just sand and peat alone would still be a very different mix.
Although, it does seem that the people who "break the rules" are the ones that have the most success. lol.

I'm not really sure if in my case "drainage" comes into play. I never top water my cephs. Instead I water from below. About once a week I fill the tray with enough water so I end up with just a little standing water in the bottom so all the water my plants get are wicked up, not drained down.

But really, I don't have much orchid bark in there, and I'd bet by now being waterlogged for about a year it probably isn't in the best shape anyway. Mostly the reason I use sand is because I hate perlite. I only use the stuff in my neps which I make a really good draining mix (those get watered from the top).

As I promised here is my new seed grown ceph!

Picture200-1.jpg

Picture205.jpg

Picture206.jpg

Picture217.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff291/antcatcher/my plants/Picture207.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff291/antcatcher/my plants/Picture208.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff291/antcatcher/my plants/Picture209.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff291/antcatcher/my plants/Picture216.jpg

Ant,
That's a sweet looking ceph - but 13 pics (mostly from the same angle) ... :0o:. Might want to consider a smaller number from some different angles & / or just keeping the non-fuzzy ones & / or trying thumbnails ...:poke:

lol, nothing is on the other side! XD It is like half of a plant.

Edit: Where did the thumbnail option on photobucket go? (I will turn a few pics into links)

Some very nice coloration in that ceph there ant! Mine is green with hints of red but we will see how the new pitchers look once they form in my lighting. So far it seems to be adjusting alright...my little baby one is growing like a freakin weed

haha damn it is hard to type on my phone...

damn! that is really great color man. Sheesh! its a beautiful plant. I wish my ceph was that colorful.

Very nice coloration. Hopefully it will keep that way as it grows. Take good care of that one.

xvart.

Edit: Where did the thumbnail option on photobucket go?
Ant,
Thanks for trimming the post. :hail:

For thumbnails, photobucket makes it a touch more difficult than their other methods. The procedure is somewhere in their help function or is described over here.

Thanks for all the compliments! My mom was the one who said I should get a ceph instead of a heli. LOL I asked her whitch one she like better. I hope it retains some of the red but, I think they had better lighting then I do. I wonder if it will make non-carnivorous leaves. How long does it take for the lid to fall on a pitcher? I thought my humidity would be a little low. Also how long would it take for a plant to show dieing pitchers from shipping shock? I was expecting to come home to see so wilting.

Awesome Ceph, Ant! Very nice coloration...and I'm jealous of that adult pitcher. x3

Also how long would it take for a plant to show dieing pitchers from shipping shock?
Usually anywhere from a day or two to a week. (At least in my experiance.)
Very nice ceph, btw.

12-26-2008-cephalotuslarge.jpg

That's the larger of my two cephs. The pitchers in this plant are larger than those of my other ceph, but I doubt that it's the "Hummer's Giant" variety. Seen here in a 4" pot.

Back