Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for some heliamphoras

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looking for some heliamphoras

Good sources? Just looking for some highland tropical year-round types. Do they take forever to grow from seed? I can't seem to find many through google, so I was wondering where I could get a few.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well they are kind of hard to grow. Do you have high lighting, humiditiy, and cool conditions? If not I don't think helis are good for you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well we are not supposed to list other carnivorous plant distributors. I would try google again and type in heliamphoras for sale you get a couple places.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lighting and humidity: terrarium(10gal) setup and grow-light, temp wise is stays cool around here year-sound, and our AC is ancient and unequal so there's always at least one room at the ideal temperature.

good start at least?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't try them just yet.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i argree you shouldn't get somthing so expensive and hard to grow i tried my hand at them once and they rotted hehehehe

but you get the idea,
    Matt
    My growlist was updated 4/22/09

"if you hear the pitter patter of little feet while you stare hypnotically at your plants you are in for some trouble."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    figured so ;_;. I'll practice on some droseras as I had originally intended while my VFT is sleeping through winter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Botanicadenta View Post
    Good sources? Just looking for some highland tropical year-round types. Do they take forever to grow from seed? I can't seem to find many through google, so I was wondering where I could get a few.

Heliamphora are all "highland tropical year-round types" and take a good long time to grow to size from seed (I don't even recall when last I saw seed available anywhere) -- and most on the market are the product of tissue culture. If you should like to grow them, I would begin with one of the naturally-occurring or man-made hybrids (H. nutans x minor, H. heterodoxa x nutans, H. nutans x ionasii, H. heterodoxa x ionasii, or Heliamaphora x "Tequila."), since they are far more tolerant of Tb fluctuations and other cultivation errors than the bulk of the species themselves -- and, as a rule, generally grow faster . . .

Most Heliamphora nowadays are distributed auf Deutschland (hint, hint) . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast