Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heliamphora: A Brief Primer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bella, I've found the same thing. I was terrified when I got my first H. minor. With the right temps, decent humidity, and bright bright light, I haven't seen many problems. Even flowers on a two-year-old plant which I bought with only 3 juvenile leaves back in May of 2006. For eight bucks.

I'm using a similar potting mix. The only thing I'm really doing differently is using undrained containers. I fill them to the brim with distilled water, then let them dry until the top of the sphagnum gets a bit crunchy. Then fill up again. This seems to work so far. People are terrified to do this also, but numerous pics of plants in the wild show them sitting in water, or even submersed. They seem fine with this for short periods.

The plants I'm growing are:

H. minor (Two-yr-old plant with about 100 pitchers of various sizes. Tallest pitchers are ~4")

H. hispida (Seedlings, still not acclimated to medium humidity. I think they need a bit more root growth.)

H. nutans Yuruani Tepui (Seedling. Growing exponentially. About 20 juvenile pitchers.)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jrod can you show pictures?? Please?
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrod View Post
    Bella, I've found the same thing. I was terrified when I got my first H. minor. With the right temps, decent humidity, and bright bright light, I haven't seen many problems. Even flowers on a two-year-old plant which I bought with only 3 juvenile leaves back in May of 2006. For eight bucks.

I'm using a similar potting mix. The only thing I'm really doing differently is using undrained containers. I fill them to the brim with distilled water, then let them dry until the top of the sphagnum gets a bit crunchy. Then fill up again. This seems to work so far. People are terrified to do this also, but numerous pics of plants in the wild show them sitting in water, or even submersed. They seem fine with this for short periods.

The plants I'm growing are:

H. minor (Two-yr-old plant with about 100 pitchers of various sizes. Tallest pitchers are ~4")

H. hispida (Seedlings, still not acclimated to medium humidity. I think they need a bit more root growth.)

H. nutans Yuruani Tepui (Seedling. Growing exponentially. About 20 juvenile pitchers.)
    What you are doing with the undrained pots is effectively little different from the shallow tray method that has been used for years; provided that the compost is light and "airy," I imagine it shouldn't be too much of a problem. If that works for you, that is fantastic . . .

It is true that Heliamphora are often partially-submerged in the wild but the water is generally circulating and rarely on the stagnant side . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the pots I'm using are shallow, so even filled to the brim, there is still good oxygenation at the bottom of the pots. I posted a photo over in the Trading Post back when my H. minor put up a flower scape earlier this summer. Here's another link to that photo:

When I get the time, I'll see if I can snap a few better photos of this plant and the others.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12