User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceph rhizome orientation experiment - which one will produce larger leaves/pitchers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ceph rhizome orientation experiment - which one will produce larger leaves/pitchers

Two rhizome cuttings of similar size are potted side by side. The one on the left is placed in the media vertically and the one on the right, horizontally. Will update in a month's time.

Placed vertically

Placed horizontally
    Cindy

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually have good starting and current pics on a similar subject. I always like to keep tracking pics of my plants and cuttings. I will post my results later today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good experiment. I can't remember who it was now who swears by planting divisions of all sorts of CPs on their sides.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my progress:

DAY 1: Jan 15 2008

Feb9 2008: the beginning of growth

Feb 12 2008

Horizontally placed root rhizome:

vertically placed root rhizome:

-----

Sept 1 2008:

vertically placed rhizome plant + a leaf cutting plant at the base

pitcher cutting (left) and leaf cutting

plant from the biggest pitcher cutting:

horizontally placed rhizome : some of those growth points aborted but a couple became dominant. The plant is still smaller than the one formed from the vertically placed cutting

There ya go....my experience!! Hope this is helpful to those who are wondering about what to do.

Interesting notice: ALl my cuttings just made leaves and then started making adult pitchers...I didn't get any juvenile pitchers if you can observe.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW..... lol! the polytrichum moss is carefully implanted from a stock obtained from Clint. Thanks dude.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Varun!

The moss was very distracting. I found myself having to look through the photos again because I missed out the Cephs.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    Two rhizome cuttings of similar size are potted side by side. The one on the left is placed in the media vertically and the one on the right, horizontally. Will update in a month's time.
    I have done similar experiments with Cephalotus in the past but noticed little real difference in the results -- whether the vertical positioning produced immediately bigger plants or the horizontal simply more numerous. Mine were of consistent size and number from what I recall.

In response to someone's recent query, the first I had ever heard of the orientation of the Cephalotus rhizome in planting came with the 1986 publication of Carnivorous Plants of the World by James and Patricia Pietropaolo . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol! yeah! the regular sheet moss you see in the pots is annoying and a plague now. I can't get rid of it. The few strands of polytrichum moss are better which I purposely planted. Polytrichum is a perfect moss for CP's IMO when used in control. It aerates the media with its tough structure and keeps it open while staying a good indicator for water level as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast