What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceph rhizome orientation experiment - which one will produce larger leaves/pitchers

Cindy

Staff member
Two rhizome cuttings of similar size are potted side by side. The one on the left is placed in the media vertically and the one on the right, horizontally. Will update in a month's time. ;)

ceph_rhizomes_orientation.jpg

Placed vertically
ceph_rhizomes_orientation_v.jpg

Placed horizontally
ceph_rhizomes_orientation_h.jpg

I actually have good starting and current pics on a similar subject. I always like to keep tracking pics of my plants and cuttings. I will post my results later today. :)

Good experiment. I can't remember who it was now who swears by planting divisions of all sorts of CPs on their sides.

Here is my progress:

DAY 1: Jan 15 2008

2195730751_c61f66145b_o.jpg

Feb9 2008: the beginning of growth

2253263187_c843aeef62.jpg

Feb 12 2008

Horizontally placed root rhizome:

2261158233_08c70b0c72_b.jpg

vertically placed root rhizome:

2261951216_85dee65be2.jpg

-----

Sept 1 2008:

vertically placed rhizome plant + a leaf cutting plant at the base

2819008232_ab5ac72a0d.jpg

pitcher cutting (left) and leaf cutting

2819010846_a1858855e5.jpg

plant from the biggest pitcher cutting:

2818167637_05ed9015ec.jpg

horizontally placed rhizome : some of those growth points aborted but a couple became dominant. The plant is still smaller than the one formed from the vertically placed cutting

2819014832_96e6811aa8.jpg

There ya go....my experience!! :) Hope this is helpful to those who are wondering about what to do. :)

Interesting notice: ALl my cuttings just made leaves and then started making adult pitchers...I didn't get any juvenile pitchers if you can observe.

BTW..... lol! the polytrichum moss is carefully implanted from a stock obtained from Clint. Thanks dude. ;)

Thanks, Varun!

The moss was very distracting. I found myself having to look through the photos again because I missed out the Cephs. :-))

Two rhizome cuttings of similar size are potted side by side. The one on the left is placed in the media vertically and the one on the right, horizontally. Will update in a month's time. ;)

I have done similar experiments with Cephalotus in the past but noticed little real difference in the results -- whether the vertical positioning produced immediately bigger plants or the horizontal simply more numerous. Mine were of consistent size and number from what I recall.

In response to someone's recent query, the first I had ever heard of the orientation of the Cephalotus rhizome in planting came with the 1986 publication of Carnivorous Plants of the World by James and Patricia Pietropaolo . . .

lol! yeah! the regular sheet moss you see in the pots is annoying and a plague now. I can't get rid of it. The few strands of polytrichum moss are better which I purposely planted. Polytrichum is a perfect moss for CP's IMO when used in control. It aerates the media with its tough structure and keeps it open while staying a good indicator for water level as well.

Some updates, one and a half months later. There is one rhizome laid vertically and one laid horizontally in each pot. Any guess which one is which? ;)

cephalotus_rhizomes.jpg

cephalotus_rhizomes1.jpg

Horizontal = the bigger ones with pitchers Cindy?

I think it's the smaller one :p

Back