What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

here are a bunch of pics of some of the Sarracenia seedlings I've got growing now. They all germinated this past Feb., and many are really starting to show their true selfs. Most are just open-pollinated since I don't get the time to do many crosses anymore, but there are a couple of true crosses in there.

wrigleyanaseedling.jpg

leucophylla x psittacina - OP

scarlethammerheadseedling.jpg

scarlet belle x hummer's hammerhead

The next 3 pics are all siblings, from an open-pollinated (oreo x flava) x leucophylla. definitely all a little different:
leucooreoflavaseedling3.jpg

leucooreoflavaseedling2.jpg

leucooreoflavaseedling1.jpg

ladiesinwaitingseedling.jpg

'ladies in waiting' - OP

catf2seedling.jpg

purpurea x flava F2 (i self-pollinated it)

alataflavaseedling.jpg

alata black x flava red - OP

alabamaoreoseedling.jpg

alabamensis x oreophila - OP

boobtubeseedling1.jpg

'boob tube' - OP

You've got some interesting crosses there. Way to go!

Quite amazing seedlings you got growing there :) They all have such excellent colors! I really want to move my seedlings outside, but I don't know if I should...

Those are some great plants. The (oreo x flava) x leucophylla is very interesting.

Wow, so pretty! I hope mine come back next spring as they didnt really get to do much this go at it. But yours are just gorgeous!

What is the difference between "open pollination" and "self pollination". I understand that the self-pollinated ones you did...does that mean that the open-pollinated ones were done by bugs or wind? (sorry, im still very new to the cp world...especially the pollinating/seed portion of it!)

Are they outside or under artificial lighting?

to answer a couple of questions: self-pollinated means i took the pollen from the flower and deposited it on the the stigmas of the same flower. open-pollinated means bees, wind, whatever did the pollination - i just let nature take its course.

regarding lighting: they were germinated in a greenhouse under artificial lighting and kept there until the danger of frost had passed here, which is in May. they've been outside since, in my backyard, where they get full sun pretty much all day, probably around 12 hours during peak summer days. i'll move them back into the greenhouse once we start getting frosts again, which hopefully won't be for awhile, but I'm in NW Wisc., so I'm starting to monitor the forecasts again :-(
i have been misting them every couple of weeks with diluted Miracid. Not sure if it helps or not, but I think they look pretty good for only being about 7 months old.

Looking god. They do often start to start showing a inkling of their adult form at the end of the first year, especially psittacina and purp crosses.

Back