Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus Brown HELP!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cephalotus Brown HELP!

I got a Cephalotus a few days ago it was outside getting warm days and cool nights. It started to turn brown, so I moved it to my grow tank where it is a little warmer and more humid. Does anyone know what I need to change?

Here is a picture.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alec View Post
    I got a Cephalotus a few days ago it was outside getting warm days and cool nights. It started to turn brown, so I moved it to my grow tank where it is a little warmer and more humid. Does anyone know what I need to change?

Here is a picture.
    Considering it is a small plant, it may simply have caught a bit too much sun and was burned a bit. Was it in direct sun or partially shaded? It is likely that the dealer who grew the Cephalotus had it in somewhat shadier conditions at that age. I would gradually intoduce it to the sun -- if that's what you desire -- and it still looks like there is new growth developing . . .

I wouldn't worry too much . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was in shade. that's why I'm worried. would the pitchers be "crispy" if it was burnt- theyre soft and brown
    I am just hoping that that one green pitcher stays that way and doesnt turn brown like the rest did almost overnight

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alec, it seems like root rot. If I were you I would remove all the dead pitchers to prevent further fungus infection and try to save the rhizome. Hopefully it is not too affected that you can try and get new plants from it.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the soil is too wet. I would let the soil dry out, move it to shade, and keep it in somewhat cooler temperatures.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you see any winter leaves in there, pull them and attempt to propogate them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Alec,

You mentioned that you just got the plant. It may have died back due to shock from shipping if it was shipped. If so, it may spring back to life in 3 - 4 weeks. That's happened to me a few times.

Or it may have gotten too hot. Some Cephs seem to take heat better than others.

Laura

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally agree. My ceph died back to the roots when temps started hitting high 80's to 90F last year. However, at temps of 65F my ceph is just thriving now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast