Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: seed tips or tricks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Warren, that soap thing sounds interesting, I gotta try that on the next batch!
    I've stratified seeds in those little jewelry ziplock type bags that are available at craft stores. Inside I would throw in some chopped LFS and some horticultural sand (thanks for that tip Lois!) After putting the seeds in, I would add a little water and then stick in the fridge for 4-6 weeks. I would also gently massage the bag and move the seeds around every week or so. The sand, kind of like the soap in NAN post above -- theoretically wears the waxy coating off the seeds. So far its working. I've shipped seeds this way before - (shipped DRY, cold stratification ready!) The chopped LFS kind of acts as a cushion as well. When the seeds arrive on the other end, the recipient adds water, and more sand if they wish. So far, germination rates seem good.

After cold stratification, I just throw the mix down on some media.

Speaking of breaking wax down -- doesn't alcohol break wax compounds down? Not sure, but I've heard someone mention that. Just wondering....

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, I just read through a couple of Ellison's studies. They scarified seed in 1M sulfuric acid (unstratified) vs unscarified and unstratified Sarracenia seed and got zero germination. Their conclusion was scarification was unnecessary. I suppose the soap treatment doesn't hurt. It may even help sterilize the seeds. They used a brief soak in 10% bleach solution followed by 3 rinses in sterile distilled water to sterilize.

http://www.amjbot.org/cgi/content/full/88/3/429
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=artBody;col1
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info Warren! Good stuff!! Oh, by the way, the seeds from you are doing well :-) Thanks again for those! One cper I know mentioned that if you get the seeds in young enough, before the pod turns brown, they can germinate. The closest I came to that was taking a young S. rubra pod that I didn't think had anything in it and when I cracked it open there were a few seeds! The pod was still green. So, being that I didn't pollinate the plant and I didn't care much for this one, and also just being somewhat lazy -- I just tossed the seeds with no stratification in the same pot as the s. rubra. (I know, messy of me) a couple months later, the seeds did germinate! There are a few small pitchers now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12