Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: seed tips or tricks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seed tips or tricks?

Hi, I just got some purpurea seeds (from Brownfield Maine) at NECPS show and some random seed from Pyro. (thanks!) I was wondering if any one had any advice on getting a high germination rate? I have the seeds in paper towel wet with ran water in a large plastic bag. i think I should take them out on November 1st (5 weeks) but what do you think? Also witch substrate is best for seedlings in your experience? I am planning to ask my parents if I can plant 2 bog bowls in the back yard. Any of tips would help greatly!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pure milled sphag is good i heard.
    Happy Holiday

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Milled sphagnum to germinate them, but you can plant into a standard peat/perlite or peat/sand mix and be fine. Milled sphagnum can sprout into live moss and crowd your seedlings, and it settles over time. You might consider growing your seedlings indoors; apparently it's possible to skip the first two years' dormancies with newly sprouted Sarracenia seedlings and they'll grow much faster in response. (Something I plan on investigating this season.) Sarracenia are pretty easy from seed - if you plan to grow them outside you might just stratify them outdoors to make your life easier. My first year with CPs I started S. rubra and Darlingtonia from seed and they've both been really easy.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before stratifying Sarracenia seeds I soak them overnight in a bit of water and just a touch of dish soap. The idea is that the soap helps moisture penetrate the waxy coat of the seeds. By a touch of dish soap I mean literally that - touch your finger tip to the film that usually collects on the spout of you dish soap bottle and then dip it into the water. Whether or not it makes a difference I don't know, I never tried a comparison.

Google "Sarracenia Ellison" or "Sarracenia Gremination" "Sarracenia Stratification" and there are plenty of studies, mostly by Aaron Ellison

http://harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu...lison_2001.pdf
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd remove the wet paper towel from the bag though. with all that stagnant air your just risking mold growth and that'd be bad...

sarr' germination is really quite easy... its just nerve racking is all...

I did 5 weeks strat with barely damp paper towels and then sowed directly onto a peat/perlite mix i've got about... 50 seedlings with one pitcher now already... about 75% germination rate... but I'm seeing some new guys popping up now so that may rise in the next week or so..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you're doing sounds good to me. I wrap my paper towels in foil - I don't know if plastic bags are a mould risk or not. Probably not.

I'm determined to find out what's the best substrate for seedlings next spring once and for all, so I'll be sowing a big batch of seeds onto various mixes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    um, since it is in the fridge I don't think mold will be a huge problem. One thing i am nervous about is I don't have any perlite. does home depot still have some out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    using pumice or sand is also fine.
    pumice is almost exactly like perlite, except it doesnt.... float. and its heavier, so people dont use it because it'll be heavier to ship.
    Happy Holiday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast