User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus dormancy -- do you do it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cephalotus dormancy -- do you do it?

Hello,
    I've heard mixed replies on whether or not to give C. follicularis a dormancy period or not. In its natural habitat, the plant apparently gets a brief couple months of dormancy with light frosts at night. Some say that in order for cephalotus to grow strongly in cultivation a similar dormancy is required. Others say that cephalotus dormancy is "not necessary" and back their statements up with nice looking plants. I'd like to adress this issue and perhaps have a bit of a debate. Is cephalotus dormancy required or not? Go!
    Insanity is a sane response to an insane world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO...it probably does, seeing they receive it in nature. In the ICPS site, it talked about dormancy and how his/hers stops growing in the summer for a while.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH! Steven Magee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I have read you the only real reason to induce dormancy is to cause the plant to flower. Other than that I do not think they need one and I have been growing about 20-25 for over a year without dormancy.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still I keep them on the window sill and allow them to experience the lower photoperiod and cooler temps that are generated by being on a sill. The room may be ~70 F but the sill must be in the 50's. But then again, I've never had a flower!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cephalotus does not go dormant. It loses most of its growth during the summer when the temperatures get very high. During winter, the growth slows down but that it just with any other plant because of the lower light intensity and lower temperature.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepfreak View Post
    Hello,
    I've heard mixed replies on whether or not to give C. follicularis a dormancy period or not. In its natural habitat, the plant apparently gets a brief couple months of dormancy with light frosts at night. Some say that in order for cephalotus to grow strongly in cultivation a similar dormancy is required. Others say that cephalotus dormancy is "not necessary" and back their statements up with nice looking plants. I'd like to adress this issue and perhaps have a bit of a debate. Is cephalotus dormancy required or not? Go!
    There is a brief period around December to January or February (in the Northern Hemisphere) when Cephalotus slows its growth to some degree but I wouldn't really consider it the "true" dormancy that, say, Sarracenia or Dionaea experience. I generally water the plants less during those months (simply because it is not necessary to do so with the cooler, wetter climate) but little else is taken into consideration. I have never had a problem with Cephalotus and the plants flower regularly -- dormancy "observed" or otherwise . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the dormancy period isn't really a dormancy, is more like a slowdown on the grow due to lower temperature and short photoperiod...

N. Albomarginata, N. Ampullaria
    N. Bellii, N. Bicalcarata, N. Rafflesiana
    N. Sanguinea (Orange Pitcher), Cephalotus Follicularis

http://www.knology.net/~fus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFus View Post
    So the dormancy period isn't really a dormancy, is more like a slowdown on the grow due to lower temperature and short photoperiod...

Yeah, similar to Mexican butterworts. They just change their leaf form, so they are not exactly "dormant"
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast