User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can you JAM JAR cephalotus follicularis ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kayota I am not ignoring your info by any means...

I have look and read, I do see where your coming from however, I will try with out no plant to see what readings come up...

I would like to learn true, however I know the plant needs rain water, it needs to drain... and needs to have humidity... Which we all agree on ok

With the glass idea that has drainage you can see the water value, as to the humidity I am not sure of until I put a meter in and read it, ones on the way.

Because there would be a space at the top that allows it to breath... I could be wrong and the values would not be correct... as mentioned before every position is different which would give a different response.

The humidity I think would reflect the same nearly without a plant inside, if it does not work, then so be it I could simulate it and give you the readings to see what you think.

I also think that it depends on how something is engineered to achieve it's objective...

We had cart wheels once that gave us a bumpy ride, however now these have been much improve, since the cart wheel did it's job why reinvent the wheel, because someone did make it a better for it's purpose.

I hold my hands up, it's something I have never tried before... So it's a novel experience for me...

But if I could achieve the right enviroment why you think it will not succeed...

That's all I did not wish to offend anyone

Noddy

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noddy View Post
    I have also read you can do the same with Sundew and Butterworts
    Noddy
    One thing to keep in mind here is that sundews are bog plants. I know nearly nothing about Cephs, but I do know they are not bog plants. Most drosera experience very poor drainage conditions where they grow, so only naturally would they also grow in a jar. It would not be the best environment for them, but it wouldn't be as devastating as it would be to a Nepenthes or a Ceph. I have seen pictures of somebody who grew a D. Adelae in a jar, only to find out that light was reaching the roots through the side of the jar, and causing plantlets to grow under the substrate. Really interesting, actually.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noddy, as others have said, you need not worry about humidity requirements with Cephalotus. My little ceph has been growing like a weed outside in full sun, and I by no means live in an area with high humidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see why your not listening noddy, I have grown cephs, and no for a fact that without propper drainage and air circulation, you would end up with powdery white mildew, a very well known ceph killer, and root rot. As davy said, these plants are by no means bog plants, and the 10 gallon terrarium, the person more than likely has the plants potted seperately and sitting in the terrarium. Good drainage is VERY essential to the health of these plants.Cephalotus is by no means a beginners plant.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are talking about using a glass jar as a pot so you can see the water level and saturation, that is fine and all, but if the water level is too high or the water is too saturated there is nothing you can do about short of drilling holes in the bottom of the glass or turning it upside down. If that is what you are truly trying to do, then you might as well use a clear plastic cup with holes in the bottom.

Experimentation is great; however, there are tried and true methods of growing plants with some fundamental observations that most everyone agrees upon. There are countless threads among all the CP forums about root rot for Cephalotus or "mysterious death syndrome."

I think one reason people are so against alternative growing methods is because:
    1. Most methods have been tried already; and,
    2. Cephalotus are considered more "difficult" to grow by some, and therefore it frustrates people to see others trying methods that generally don't work for such plants.

Do whatever you want, they are your plants. But just consider the advice when you ask for it. Good luck, and of course we would be interested if you have any success.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Katherine
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you could probably spend time designing a jam jar for a ceph, but why bother when it will grow just as well without one - probably better? And trust me, they grow fine without jam jars, both in the wild and in my nana's kitchen
    Drosera Arcturi-The Alpine Sundew...

I'm an AMP People's Choice Applicant this year, please vote for me here:
    http://ampvoting.orcas.co.nz/Applicants/Details/10699

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technically you can jam jar any plant. It's just that jam jarring cephs and VFTs will more than likely kill them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast