User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can you JAM JAR cephalotus follicularis ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drwurm you made me laugh thanks ... LMAO

I think it stems from my child hood days LOL...

I think the root issue could be a problem as mentioned...

However I understand the water issue however if you had stones and a membrane (black webbing that used to suppress weeds) then soil (mix) when you water you can see the volume easy in the depth is enough then water will be below the membrane of the hence you have the drainage, that was the the idea.

It was only an idea that I had... after all there's always AIR PLANTS (LOL)

Noddy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the record I am currently growing a 'Hummer's Giant' in an undrained bubble and have been for quite some time.

Granted I have more than a few years experience so I know what I am doing but the pint is that it can be done and it is not an instant death sentence.

That said, it is not something I would advocate to someone with minimal experience with CPs. First you should learn how to grow Cephs in the "normal" way before trying something radical.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff from the NECPS grows a bunch of different Ceph clones in an undrained 55gal aquarium. They're quite healthy. Search this forum for pics.

He'll have the best advice on this topic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noddy View Post
    Hi all

I have done so poking around I read on some sites that you can jam jar this plants in a terrarium, can anyone tell me if they have been sucessful with this...

All advice welcome

Many thanks Wayne
    Some years back, I grew a large number of Cephalotus quite successfully in a large undrained terra cotta bowl; but there was quite a bit of heaped compost and it was grown outside. That large size -- 60 cm (2') -- and the fact that it was exposed to winds, built in a wide margin of error when it came to the chance of overwatering. Drying was a greater risk.

At his nursery in Northern California, Peter D'Amato manages to grow a good number of carnivorous plants -- Cephalotus included -- in some shallow undrained containers . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can grow any plant in any conditions you wish.

The crux is: what conditions are best? I can think of many ways I'd rather grow a Ceph than "jam jarring" it.

I'm sure it's possible and that others have tried it with some success but if you're a beginner, why set yourself up for failure, especially with a relatively expensive plant?
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BigBella, I've been to deleted, and he had many plants that WEREN'T in shallow undrained pots. Cephalotus were one of those.

Noddy, try not to experiment with any plant that is over even $10.00. Imagine a grower who doesn't have Cephalotus. If you end up failing, that grower who didn't have one wouldn't like that too much.

Then there's the plant. It could grow like that, but would it like it? Probably not. Cephalotus grow not standing in water, but in an area where it's: close to the water but not standing in it, where there's airy soil, and where there's lot's of light. With a jar, it would create unnecessary humidity, excess water, and root rot. Please spare that poor little Cephalotus.
    Last edited by xvart; 11-02-2008 at 04:21 PM. Reason: removed vendor
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll chime in once more - Cephs don't need humidity. They regulate their own humidity; that's why they have the hairs on their leaves. If you want to experiment with different methods, that's great - curiosity and investigation are good things - but keep the plant's natural ecology in mind when you do. And seeing as many experienced growers have trouble keeping Cephs in recommended conditions, it's advisable that you try it the traditional way first so that you know what to look for. If normal cultivation proves easy, then you'll have plenty of offsets to experiment on for free.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clue View Post
    BigBella, I've been to deleted, and he had many plants that WEREN'T in shallow undrained pots. Cephalotus were one of those.

Noddy, try not to experiment with any plant that is over even $10.00. Imagine a grower who doesn't have Cephalotus. If you end up failing, that grower who didn't have one wouldn't like that too much.

Then there's the plant. It could grow like that, but would it like it? Probably not. Cephalotus grow not standing in water, but in an area where it's: close to the water but not standing in it, where there's airy soil, and where there's lot's of light. With a jar, it would create unnecessary humidity, excess water, and root rot. Please spare that poor little Cephalotus.
    D'Amato has had Cephalotus plants (among a great many others), both in drained and undrained conditions over the years, and I still recall his old Healdsburg location from way back; but he also knows what he is doing on a regular basis. I have also grown Cephalotus undrained, both as I described in my previous post and as a healthy flowering component in a small table-top bog garden with Heliamphora, Drosera, and Sarracenia for several years without any problems whatsoever.

We're not really talking about using a Smucker's jar to grow a plant, are we? If we are, I do have fondness for their grape . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast