What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you JAM JAR cephalotus follicularis ;-)

Hi all

I have done so poking around I read on some sites that you can jam jar this plants in a terrarium, can anyone tell me if they have been sucessful with this...

All advice welcome

Many thanks Wayne

As in, plant it in a jar? I'm afraid I don't understand. Sounds like a very bad idea to me - Cephalotus needs drainage.
~Joe

Cephs need drainage as seedjar said. It would be a bad idea to jar it in my opinion. Not only drainage, they need to have good air circulation.

Yes I read this also

However I believe it can be created in a way such as to support drainage and provide a clear indication of the volume and thus will help to produce humidity, thus creating the correct conditions.

You know I was told I could not breed a high spec fish in a 2ft tank with plants it took 5 years but I achieved it....

I was thinking just to try and post the project online ...

Any comments

Noddy

However I believe it can be created in a way such as to support drainage and provide a clear indication of the volume and thus will help to produce humidity, thus creating the correct conditions.

You know I was told I could not breed a high spec fish in a 2ft tank with plants it took 5 years but I achieved it....

Humitidy is not important for Cephalotus. You'll rot it. If you really want to spend another five years doing things the hard way, be my guest, but this isn't how they grow in the wild and it's the polar opposite of the cultivation techniques proven by hundreds or thousands of growers.
Cephs are expensive. I hope you've got a lot of money to spare.
~Joe

Well

What do you call expensive, £11.50 is not cheap but then I paid alot of money for fish, so ...

What if the idea did work you see, as like with aquatic plants and marine you can have everything right move it 2 inch and it will die...

Tough game and one I think we all take for granted...

I have also read you can do the same with Sundew and Butterworts

I could always test with out the plant in it first I guess
and get a reading, I have some things on the way, so once I have this then I can try and see if it works I can not see why rot will occur if it does not breath... to warm it will steam it and cook it...

Which is why I would put a meter in to test else remove the lid and see

If the idea works then all can do it how long you think to kill it month or 2 before you think the idea will fail ?

Since I noticed elgecko grows his in a 10 gallon terrarium, which means they will grow in a glass housing, but the watering would be the only issue.

Close montioring I think

Noddy

Noddy, you are nuts. You first want to grow VFTs in an egg thing and now this, and have been ignoring our advice for the most part... why?

Yes, I agree with Kayota. Just don't put CPs in jars or eggs. Plus, putting a plant in a 10 gallon tank and in a jar is a BIG difference. The only possible way if you keep the top open, but even then, there will be little room (depending on size and plant).

Hi Kayota I am not ignoring your info by any means...

I have look and read, I do see where your coming from however, I will try with out no plant to see what readings come up...

I would like to learn true, however I know the plant needs rain water, it needs to drain... and needs to have humidity... Which we all agree on ok

With the glass idea that has drainage you can see the water value, as to the humidity I am not sure of until I put a meter in and read it, ones on the way.

Because there would be a space at the top that allows it to breath... I could be wrong and the values would not be correct... as mentioned before every position is different which would give a different response.

The humidity I think would reflect the same nearly without a plant inside, if it does not work, then so be it I could simulate it and give you the readings to see what you think.

I also think that it depends on how something is engineered to achieve it's objective...

We had cart wheels once that gave us a bumpy ride, however now these have been much improve, since the cart wheel did it's job why reinvent the wheel, because someone did make it a better for it's purpose.

I hold my hands up, it's something I have never tried before... So it's a novel experience for me...

But if I could achieve the right enviroment why you think it will not succeed...

That's all I did not wish to offend anyone

:-( Noddy

I have also read you can do the same with Sundew and Butterworts
Noddy

One thing to keep in mind here is that sundews are bog plants. I know nearly nothing about Cephs, but I do know they are not bog plants. Most drosera experience very poor drainage conditions where they grow, so only naturally would they also grow in a jar. It would not be the best environment for them, but it wouldn't be as devastating as it would be to a Nepenthes or a Ceph. I have seen pictures of somebody who grew a D. Adelae in a jar, only to find out that light was reaching the roots through the side of the jar, and causing plantlets to grow under the substrate. Really interesting, actually.

Noddy, as others have said, you need not worry about humidity requirements with Cephalotus. My little ceph has been growing like a weed outside in full sun, and I by no means live in an area with high humidity.

I don't see why your not listening noddy, I have grown cephs, and no for a fact that without propper drainage and air circulation, you would end up with powdery white mildew, a very well known ceph killer, and root rot. As davy said, these plants are by no means bog plants, and the 10 gallon terrarium, the person more than likely has the plants potted seperately and sitting in the terrarium. Good drainage is VERY essential to the health of these plants.Cephalotus is by no means a beginners plant.

If you are talking about using a glass jar as a pot so you can see the water level and saturation, that is fine and all, but if the water level is too high or the water is too saturated there is nothing you can do about short of drilling holes in the bottom of the glass or turning it upside down. If that is what you are truly trying to do, then you might as well use a clear plastic cup with holes in the bottom.

Experimentation is great; however, there are tried and true methods of growing plants with some fundamental observations that most everyone agrees upon. There are countless threads among all the CP forums about root rot for Cephalotus or "mysterious death syndrome."

I think one reason people are so against alternative growing methods is because:
  1. Most methods have been tried already; and,
  2. Cephalotus are considered more "difficult" to grow by some, and therefore it frustrates people to see others trying methods that generally don't work for such plants.

Do whatever you want, they are your plants. But just consider the advice when you ask for it. Good luck, and of course we would be interested if you have any success.

xvart.

Yes, you could probably spend time designing a jam jar for a ceph, but why bother when it will grow just as well without one - probably better? And trust me, they grow fine without jam jars, both in the wild and in my nana's kitchen :)

Technically you can jam jar any plant. It's just that jam jarring cephs and VFTs will more than likely kill them.

Drwurm you made me laugh thanks ... LMAO

I think it stems from my child hood days LOL...

I think the root issue could be a problem as mentioned...

However I understand the water issue however if you had stones and a membrane (black webbing that used to suppress weeds) then soil (mix) when you water you can see the volume easy in the depth is enough then water will be below the membrane of the hence you have the drainage, that was the the idea.

It was only an idea that I had... after all there's always AIR PLANTS (LOL)

Noddy

For the record I am currently growing a 'Hummer's Giant' in an undrained bubble and have been for quite some time.

Granted I have more than a few years experience so I know what I am doing but the pint is that it can be done and it is not an instant death sentence.

That said, it is not something I would advocate to someone with minimal experience with CPs. First you should learn how to grow Cephs in the "normal" way before trying something radical.

Jeff from the NECPS grows a bunch of different Ceph clones in an undrained 55gal aquarium. They're quite healthy. Search this forum for pics.

He'll have the best advice on this topic.

Hi all

I have done so poking around I read on some sites that you can jam jar this plants in a terrarium, can anyone tell me if they have been sucessful with this...

All advice welcome

Many thanks Wayne

Some years back, I grew a large number of Cephalotus quite successfully in a large undrained terra cotta bowl; but there was quite a bit of heaped compost and it was grown outside. That large size -- 60 cm (2') -- and the fact that it was exposed to winds, built in a wide margin of error when it came to the chance of overwatering. Drying was a greater risk.

At his nursery in Northern California, Peter D'Amato manages to grow a good number of carnivorous plants -- Cephalotus included -- in some shallow undrained containers . . .

Back