What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarr roots well out of pot, what to do?

I decided to take away the tray that my Sarrs and VFTs are in, but the problem's is that my alata's root are well out of the roots, and I'm not sure if I should leave it like that, or if I should repot in a mix of 100% vermiculite (which I am trying to avoid), or if I should put sphagnum under the pot for the roots. Perhaps I should cut them? o_O

I wouldn't cut them. Maybe transplant into a bigger pot w/perlite/peat or whatever you're using?

my cephs, vfts, sarr seedlings are all coming out of the pot holes and are open in the tray underneath. THere is no problem whatsoever...the plants are still thriving. You see....the tray will actually have a lot of humidity since all pots are close together...there is moistre in the media and for sometime..there is actually water accumulated in the tray. THis is enough to prevent the roots from drying and the plant still thrives. Now ideally yes...it means the plant would like more room to grow....but it doesn't mean death unless repotted either.

I don't have the tray under them for dormancy, and I don't have enough soil to repot into a larger pot unless I used 100% vermiculite or a mixture with a larger portion of it being vermiculite...then again, NaN has said before it's possible for them to grow in crushed bricks, so Idk...

I wouldn't use vermiculite for the long run. It has a tendency to break down into a mushy substance if kept wet for long periods of time. It should be ok for the time being. Doesn't it float like perlite though?

Experiment with a small pot of vermiculite and see what the water retention properties are like before using it on your plants.

Sounds like you need to use a larger pot altogether. I would put it in a shallow tray for winter to keep the exposed roots wet. I think it'll be OK without repotting for the time being, though - just be ready to get it into a bigger pot as soon as you can save up some money for potting mix. In the meantime, try to scavenge a really deep pot from someplace in your neighborhood. Sometimes stores or people with nice yards/gardens will have pots to spare - it never hurts to ask. Florists sometimes have large plastic undrained pots that they use to ship stock flowers - they make great planters if you drill some holes in the bottom.
This season all of my adult Sarrs are going into tree pots - 12" x 18"!
~Joe

Sounds like you need to use a larger pot altogether. I would put it in a shallow tray for winter to keep the exposed roots wet. I think it'll be OK without repotting for the time being, though - just be ready to get it into a bigger pot as soon as you can save up some money for potting mix. In the meantime, try to scavenge a really deep pot from someplace in your neighborhood.
~Joe

Ok, thanks! The problem is that I can't find potting mix well for Sarrs, because it's Miracle - Gro. Also, I have larger pots ready for use, but, I don't have enough soil for it.

That'll happen sometimes. Try different outdoor stores, and consider buying one of the really big bulk bags. The stuff they sell for potting houseplants often has fertilizer in it, but if you get those large 3.5 cubic yard bales of peat moss it's usually just plain peat. The larger ones are usually marketed more towards gardeners and landscapers so they assume that you'll mix in your own fertilizer. It costs more (usually $20 or so) but you get much more peat for your dollar - like 10 or 20 times, I think. I repotted my whole collection of Sarracenia and Drosera (at least 100 individual plants in all) with just two of those bales this year, and I still have a lot left over. Likewise, big bags of perlite are often just perlite, with no additives. If you can't find the right stuff anyplace nearby, try asking some of the lawn and garden staff if they can place a special order for you. A lot of the bigger hardware stores allow you to order stuff on their website and pick it up at a local store.
~Joe

Ah, ok. I'll try going to my local nursery. Right now, it's in a tray with little water.

Back