User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heliamphora sp. "Akopan," "Amuri," "Angasima" . . .

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    amazing amazing plants! heli's are a very close second to neps in my book, and would probably be first if i cold grow them. :P

You seem to have one of the finer collections!
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by obregon562 View Post
    amazing amazing plants! heli's are a very close second to neps in my book, and would probably be first if i cold grow them. :P

You seem to have one of the finer collections!
    Thanks, but if you can grow intermediate or highland Nepenthes with any success, you can easily pull off Heliamphora. In my view, many Nepenthes can be far more fickle in cultivation, especially when young, than Heliamphora . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing's first: Those are some nice plants, and the ones that you posted in another thread are just spectacular!

Now, I also have a couple questions: Would Heli's suffer too bad in lowland temps for a period of a few months (Summer)? If not, I think I might have to give one or two a try! Oh, and how fickle are they about humidity (how low can they be hardened off to?)?
    "I'm just a scientist without the proper documentation."

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113724

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking plants!

I second both of Jmmy's questions.

Now, I also have a couple questions: Would Heli's suffer too bad in lowland temps for a period of a few months (Summer)? If not, I think I might have to give one or two a try! Oh, and how fickle are they about humidity (how low can they be hardened off to?)?
    In addition, what kinds of conditions are your Helis experiancing, BigBella? (Humidity, temps, etc)
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post

I think Lowland temps would definately kill them. Even me trying my hardest - keeping them w/ my ultra highland neps, they're still not growing consistently (yet my N. macrophylla is happy ). Of all of them, H. puchella really is a pain to grow. I haven't seen new growth on it for 6 months.

If I were you I'd go with H. x "Tequila". They can take alot of abuse when it comes to temps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for th input, Jeff. I was thinking of getting a H. spec. Angasima, if anything, because I like the shape and coloration, and it's apparently supposed to be an easy grower, like H. heterodoxa. Unless BigBella thinks they'd be fine for awhile in summer LL temps, I think I'll shy away from Helis until I have a sure-fire cooling sytem to last my plants through the summer months.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theyellowdart View Post
    Great looking plants!

I second both of Jmmy's questions.

In addition, what kinds of conditions are your Helis experiancing, BigBella? (Humidity, temps, etc)
    In terms of growing conditions, the plants all experience fairly high humidity -- in the 70 percentile range and higher (though have fallen into the 40-50% range on rare occasions) -- and Tbs that rarely exceed 25˚-30˚C for any real length of time. More importantly and, again, analogous to growing highland Nepenthes or Darlingtonia, Heliamphora require a consistent fall in Tb at night. Since I live on the Northern California coast, it is almost always fairly cool at dusk, in the 12˚ C range -- probably colder tonight. I also grow the bulk of the plants in shallow water trays, since I cannot ensure that they are frequently watered otherwise. Some growers, however, swear against that practice -- but it works for me.

As far as the other question about partially raising Heliamphora as a lowlander, frequent watering would be required and conditions that would allow for reasonably high humidity -- misting, etc. One solution to this would be to grow any number of hybrid forms which allow for far greater latitude in terms of cultivation. A friend of mine in Austin, Texas, grows a few plants (H. nutans x heterodoxa, H. heterodoxa x minor, H. heterodoxa x ionasii, etc) which seem to thrive and flower, even in their sweltering summers. One encouraging thing I could offer, is that UC Berkeley's Botanical Gardens have some nice Heliamphora in their collection; and when last I visited, they were in a full, poorly-vented enclosure, and the Tb was well in excess of 30˚C.

In terms of the Heliamphora sp. "Angasima," and the others, I haven't had the plants long enough to offer any real advice or opinion. I spoke with a couple of growers in the UK who suggested that some of the "new" species were fairly vigorous but others disagreed; aside from that, it's anyone's guess . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that detailed explanation, BigBella. I'm still waiting for some German neps, and if I'm satisfied with what I recieve, I may put a Heli in my next order (who knows when that will be...)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast