User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is something wrong with my Cephalotus?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
    Bigbella makes a good point, but it could also be transplant shock, cephs HATE having their roots disturbed...and it very well could take over a month for it to settle back in
    Transplant-shock can pose a potential problem; but if you manage to repot the Cephalotus with a ball of compost, and not expose the rhizome completely, there shouldn't be any halt in growth. I routinely repot mine, while taking divisions and cuttings, every year to two years without any problems whatsoever . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BigBella, take in account, the size of the plant. Id imagine mature plants could take root disturbance and division alot easier than a young cephalotus. Maybe Ahmad can clarify is repotting method?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BigBella, take in account, the size of the plant. Id imagine mature plants could take root disturbance and division alot easier than a young cephalotus. Maybe Ahmad can clarify is repotting method?

I did disturb the roots when I repotted it. I took it out of the soil and put it into fresh soil in a new pot
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oddly enough, it is often the more established and older Cephalotus that have the greater reputation for setbacks or death from transplant shock than the younger plants.

In the future, when transplanting, take a small amount of the compost along with the Cephalotus to minimize any potential shock; although, I've received bare-rooted plants for years, especially from overseas, without any incident . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That mix seems kind of thick to me. I'm no Ceph expert, but I think that the addition of a larger grain of perlite would help - or better yet, lava rock. My own Ceph is potted in a mix loose enough that I need to water weekly, because it holds very little water on its own. I also keep it in a tray, but I try to not leave much or any standing water. At most, there's a centimeter or so in there at a time, and the pots are all five inches or taller. I also have my Ceph pot mounded, so that the plant and most of its rhizome is actually above the rim of the pot.
    Superthrive is always worth trying, too.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There you go Ahmad, root disturbance and poor soil airation are the two most like culprits. ill let the experts take it past this though

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seedjar View Post
    That mix seems kind of thick to me. I'm no Ceph expert, but I think that the addition of a larger grain of perlite would help - or better yet, lava rock. My own Ceph is potted in a mix loose enough that I need to water weekly, because it holds very little water on its own. I also keep it in a tray, but I try to not leave much or any standing water. At most, there's a centimeter or so in there at a time, and the pots are all five inches or taller. I also have my Ceph pot mounded, so that the plant and most of its rhizome is actually above the rim of the pot.
    Superthrive is always worth trying, too.
    ~Joe
    I think that the mix is fairly conventional (save for the peat top-dressing) and not too far from what I use with some of my plants. Typically, I use a 2:1:1 ratio of sphagnum peat, perlite, and horticultural sand, or the so-called "Charles Brewer mix" often mentioned on this site, which also includes some chopped long-fiber sphagnum, pumice, and charcoal in the mix.

Half of my Cephalotus also have a live sphagnum top-dressing -- more for aesthetic purposes than anything else. I also use a sphagnum "wick" through the drainage holes to ensure constant moisture . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having Cephs pause for a while after repotting isn't completely abnormal.

Other's mentioned the mix having excessive peat - not imho. I've grown them in all sorts of mixes ranging from 100% peat to lighter mixes - no difference in growth that I could see (although I prefer an approx 2:1 organic to inorganic mix - which is even heavier than your mix).

One suggestion: don't allow it to sit in water for very long but water somewhat more frequently...

Hopefully, it is just taking some time to establish a good root structure down below before it resumes topside growth. Earlier this year, I had an adult ceph cease growth for 2-3 months. About the time I was starting to move past curious and get a tad concerned, it sent out several pitchers in a few weeks. Why did it just stop growing? Who knows...? They can definitely be idiosyncratic little plants ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast