User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is something wrong with my Cephalotus?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is something wrong with my Cephalotus?

I've had this Cephalotus since July now. It put up a few new leaves which are seen here. However, it appears to have stopped growing. I replanted it a month ago into a 4-inch pot with an airy soil (one part peat, one part perlite, one part Quartz sand) with a light layer of peat on top. I only water it once a month allowing the saucer to dry out. It gets one hour of direct sunlight a day from the window and spends the rest of the day in bright shade or under my 14 watt lamp.

I haven't noticed any growth in about a month or two, and one of the leaves rotted off a few weeks ago.

Is something wrong?

"I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you've explained it before, but I can't remember the details. You water once a month and leave a tray, right? How deep is the water in the tray? It seems to be strange only needing to water once a month, so I might say that if you have it in a deep tray, it could be too wet for a while, and then dry out after a month. Or, it isn't getting enough water for an entire month.

Could also still be adjusting after potting it.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    I know you've explained it before, but I can't remember the details. You water once a month and leave a tray, right? How deep is the water in the tray? It seems to be strange only needing to water once a month, so I might say that if you have it in a deep tray, it could be too wet for a while, and then dry out after a month. Or, it isn't getting enough water for an entire month.

Could also still be adjusting after potting it.

xvart.

There's about an inch of water when the tray is full. When the water evaporates, I let the soil air out a little because I know that Cephs need an airy soil and are prone to root rot.

Wolfn's Growlist

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
    There's about an inch of water when the tray is full. When the water evaporates, I let the soil air out a little because I know that Cephs need an airy soil and are prone to root rot.
    I wouldn't necessarily think that it is rot at this time, but I would definitely modify your watering method. How tall is that pot? Three inches? If you have an inch of water that high, the soil is going to be very saturated with water, and then take longer to dry out.

My bet is still that it is just stalled from repotting.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily think that it is rot at this time, but I would definitely modify your watering method. How tall is that pot? Three inches? If you have an inch of water that high, the soil is going to be very saturated with water, and then take longer to dry out.

My bet is still that it is just stalled from repotting.

xvart.

The pot is 4 inches wide and 4 inches tall.

Btw, is this pot size okay for a Cephalotus that's almost an inch big?

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cephalotus likes being overpotted, i dont see that as being a problem. Your media seems rather peaty for cephs, which as you said yourself, like welldrained media. It could be a sign that drainage and airation for the roots may become an issue.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
    I've had this Cephalotus since July now. It put up a few new leaves which are seen here. However, it appears to have stopped growing. I replanted it a month ago into a 4-inch pot with an airy soil (one part peat, one part perlite, one part Quartz sand) with a light layer of peat on top. I only water it once a month allowing the saucer to dry out. It gets one hour of direct sunlight a day from the window and spends the rest of the day in bright shade or under my 14 watt lamp.

I haven't noticed any growth in about a month or two, and one of the leaves rotted off a few weeks ago.

Is something wrong?
    One consideration is that your Cephalotus is simply slowing its growth in response to shorter days as mine are. The plants were producing leaves left and right up to a month or so ago, but have decreased their speed lately.

My plants spend the entire year in shallow water trays, deeper in summer -- shallower in winter months; and I never allow Cephalotus to dry completely. The death of the leaf you mention may simply be that: a dead leaf. They all have finite lives after all -- particularly while young . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bigbella makes a good point, but it could also be transplant shock, cephs HATE having their roots disturbed...and it very well could take over a month for it to settle back in

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast