User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sarracenia purpurea (venosa) can grow year round without dormany?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do know for one thing that all Sarracenia seedlings can be kept in a terrarium under lights for 2 years, meaning skipping one dormant period.

However, to keep it healthy, I would also suggest lots of lighting during winter time. Otherwise, like Mr Truncata said, there's a chance it'll go dormant.
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you just put it outside in the sun?
    You will need extra lighting unless you get full sun in that window for most of the day.
    SK-8 OR DIE

growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Can you just put it outside in the sun?
    You will need extra lighting unless you get full sun in that window for most of the day.
    Sarracenia Purpurea can actually be grown in bright-shade/partially sunny conditions. It won't grow quite as red as those grown in full sun, but it will still grow.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the shorter, prostrate species can be grown under lights. It makes sense since by being shorter, they naturally receive less light anyway. I have seen very healthy purps cultivated with this method.

Jason

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jason has seen Ivan Snyder's and Laura O'Neal's S. purpurea and DIonaea (and taken quite a few photographs) that they bring to the LACPS meetings. They grow their plants under lights. Jason has even seen Laura's growing setup, although her growracks are in front of a window the plants receive little if any direct sunlight. Outrageous amounts of light is not needed. 4 Foot T12/T8 fixtures is all that is needed. When Ivan writes to me that he prefers S. purpurea that grow short flower scapes that fit under his lights how do you suppose he is growing them?

Look at this video of the Boiling Lakes savanna in North Carolina. See all the grass growing over the S. purpurea ssp venosa (time mark ~15:30):
    http://www.myoutdoortv.com/video/vid...nzt6EHUtqG_ey0
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Roseas live almost in the tropical zone, same with the southernmost purps. I think I read about S. Psittacinas not needing a dormancy either on a research station's / CP nursery's website, but the name is top secret, ya know? Saying all S. Purpurea ssp. Venosa don't need dormancy is different than saying the Purps, Roseas, and Psitts in almost tropical FL. Of course, even if Barry Rice said that, he's also the one that stated the 'Golden Rules' in his book, which state (in context) "A plant's happiest the closer you can imitate its natural environment, since usually deviations from it's environment put extra stress on the plant, which could kill it." So the FL Purps would probably benefit more from a dormancy than w/out one. As another point, if they could grow well in little/no dormancy, how come it doesn't grow farther south, like nearer South FL? Just a thought. But hey, if you feel like experimenting, it's always worth the risk, since I might be wrong!

Happy growing!
    Aslan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Purp Venosas (Lowes) have been happily growing in an open terrarium for almost 2 years now under regular 23 watt compact fluorescents held about 4 inches away. It just sent up another flower stalk (~5 inches tall) this past month and new pitchers are forming. No signs of slowing down any time soon.

I do want to give them dormancy, but terrarium growing means I'd have to dig them out, etc and I got subtropical sundews in there with them.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I put my S. psitticina through a dormancy and this year it produced a flower.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12