User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia purpurea (venosa) can grow year round without dormany?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sarracenia purpurea (venosa) can grow year round without dormany?

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5552.html

Winter treatment: Sarracenia expect spring, summer, fall, and winter seasons. During the spring, they flower. During the summer, they produce their first pitchers early in the season. During the fall, they just sit there; some species make modified, nontrapping leaves during this season. During the winter, the remains of the summer leaves slowly die back. I think winter rest is signalled by cooler temperatures and/or decreased photoperiod/intensities, but I do not really know. You can take advantage of this slow season by trimming the leaves back as they die. Only trim off the dead stuff---never cut into living tissue. Sarracenia oreophila, S. jonesii, and S. purpurea subsp. purpurea expect cold weather and even frosts during the winter. If you keep your plants on a seasonal schedule, they will usually flower for you each spring. This means they are happy!

Indoor growers have their own challenges with Sarracenia. Sarracenia rosea and S. purpurea subsp. venosa do well in terraria year-round without a winter treatment. However, giving them one will encourage normal annual-rhythmic behaviour such as flowering
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know much about indoor growing but skipping dormancy on a plant that requires it doesn't sound so wise. The point of dormancy is for the plant to reserve energy for the incoming spring, if you take that away you will gradually weaken your plant.

Excluding Tropicals of course.
    “I don’t at all like knowing what people say of me behind my back. It makes me far too conceited.”
    —Oscar Wilde

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if barry rice wrote that, its probably right.
    and to Chaddycakez, if that's true for all plant, how about those tropical? nepenthes got dormancy too?
    Happy Holiday

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nepenthes are not adapted to a winter dormancy, and as such, have no need for a resting period.

I would not advise it for a rare or treasured plant, but if you feel "wild and crazy", knock yourself out. Maybe you'll stumble onto something.
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I'm going to order a Sarracenia Purpurea ssp Venosa (probably tomorrow night).

Is it possible if I can grow it on my windowsill inside year-round? I currently grow a Cephalotus and Pinguicula Primuiflora on my windowsill and they appear happy (well, my Cephalotus got a little dry, so I put a humidity dome over it).

Anywho, would a Sarracenia Purpurea ssp Venosa be happy here? If not, I could always grow it on my porch outside.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd think to keep it growing year round you'd need powerful lights. A decrease in light on the window might be enough to cause dormancy in the winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was going to ask this when i got my terrarium, ,if rosea and psittacina can grow year round. Ill have to get a purpurea venosa from lowes when it's setup! and next year i may divide my oreophila, see if it will do well in pots up here. I have a purpurea purpurea i will leave out in winter.
    Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...row-Trade-List
    Collection: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...-Deadly-Plantsn
    Quote Originally Posted by lizasaur
    Minor x Purp I actually have. Well,technically it's Minor Okee x Psitt Green.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Truncata View Post
    I'd think to keep it growing year round you'd need powerful lights. A decrease in light on the window might be enough to cause dormancy in the winter.
    I agree, I had my S. purpurea ssp. venosa go dormant in my house at 66 degrees just because of the solar cycle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast