User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Deep enough for Darlingtonia seedlings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deep enough for Darlingtonia seedlings?

I'm looking to try my hand at Darlingtonia seeds since I got some sar seeds to germinate. Is a 2in deep drawer orgainizer deep enough? I was reading on how their roots are not very deep and wider is better. So what I got it 9in long, 6in wide, and 2in deep. People I read this from grow their Darlingtonia in kitty litter boxes.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, it probably couldn't hurt to try. I sprouted my Darlingtonia seeds in pots about that deep, or a little deeper. Once they put on mature pitchers, I moved them to something deeper, as I'm an advocate of overpotting. I would use a drained container, myself, but if you've got an account of someone using kitty litter trays and you think you can make it work, give it a shot. I imagine you could do a lot of seeds in a container that size, and it doesn't hurt that they're inexpensive and easy to find. Let us know how it turns out - it's always good to learn about new growing methods.
    ~Joe

PS - One thing I can say is that you should avoid translucent containers - algae and pests will grow in the moist, well-lit sides of the pot. They'll also heat up more easily, and Darlingtonia certainly won't appreciate that.
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well they drill holes about half an inch from the bottom. The thing I got was 2 bucks and it's light brown. I'll give it a try and in maybe 2-3 years if all goes well then I'll move them up.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sprouted (among other things) these Darlingtonia in what is only 1.5" deep. But this is just a temporary setup. Actually, I recently moved then to 4" tall pots. Next spring they go into buckets (minibog). Sprouting isn't an issue. It's what to do with them next year and thereafter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JMurphy97 View Post
    I'm looking to try my hand at Darlingtonia seeds since I got some sar seeds to germinate. Is a 2in deep drawer orgainizer deep enough? I was reading on how their roots are not very deep and wider is better. So what I got it 9in long, 6in wide, and 2in deep. People I read this from grow their Darlingtonia in kitty litter boxes.
    Darlingtonia are remarkably shallow-rooted and the rhizome is often just below the compost level. I've seen some plants in the field where the rhizome actually travels above rocky ground for a short distance.

Your seedlings should be fine, since it takes upwards of seven to ten years for Darlingtonia to mature from seed . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei