What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dividing time!

Is it too late to divide now?

i would only divide during the beginning of the growing season personally

Thanks, that's what I thought. I have someone who is very interested in growing CP's and he's coming over today. Do you have any tips on where he might find some plants? He's not really new but he wants to start a larger bog.

Is it too late to divide now?

Go right ahead. I just did another round of divisions last night and will likely have a few more before week is out.

Has anyone else started dividing their sarracenia yet? I have started this weekend, I have to start early or I wont get them all divided and repoted. It looks like I am going to have a huge amount of divisions to get rid of in the spring, I can't wait just a few more months!

I have divided a few, coinciding with some necessary re-potting and clumsiness on my part. Some of my S. alata were huge clumps and were out-of-hand; and since dividing, many pitchers are a third taller, flowering like mad, and certainly no worse for wear . . .

I divide all year whenever wanted/needed. I wouldn't even say I'm careful, I take divisions and whatever all seasons.

Andrew

Right now I am in a daily pattern of moving the plants (that still have healthy foliage) outdoors during the day and indoors (into the garage) during the night as nightly temperatures are dipping below freezing. It's quite a hassle, bit it's worth it.

I just read this post now, although it's months old. No offense meant, but it made me laugh out loud. He/she's in California and talking about moving the plants into the garage at night because it's dipping below freezing. I'm in Wisconsin and I don't think about moving my plants in until the high temps during the day stay below freezing.

Actually it sounds a lot like me when I was younger and first started growing. I'd get nervous when the dog would walk near the plants, but now there's not a care in the world.

I just read this post now, although it's months old. No offense meant, but it made me laugh out loud. He/she's in California and talking about moving the plants into the garage at night because it's dipping below freezing. I'm in Wisconsin and I don't think about moving my plants in until the high temps during the day stay below freezing.

Actually it sounds a lot like me when I was younger and first started growing. I'd get nervous when the dog would walk near the plants, but now there's not a care in the world.

I live in the high desert of California... Not all of California weather is like how it's portrayed in the movies, you know.

We get temps that get below freezing during the winter, in addition to dry wind chills that often get surfaces below 0F. I don't protect my plants with mulch or anything. That and the fact that they are potted and are on a table in the middle of my back yard puts them at risk.

Maybe you don't find a problem taking a risk with the cold, but I do. I've already lost a handful of flytraps to the cold back when I started growing, and I say it's not worth it to put the rest of my plants at risk. So I put them in the garage when it gets overly cold. That's what has worked for me for the past three years.

EDIT: Here are a couple of pictures of what happened in December 2008 at my house. It may not be anything compared to what you get in Wisconsin, but it drives my point along...

Back