Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus growing on some Driftwood

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks nice, but I'm worried it's a little too wet for the Cephalotus. You better watch out to see if it rots or anything.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
    Looks nice, but I'm worried it's a little too wet for the Cephalotus. You better watch out to see if it rots or anything.

I second that. Despite the gorgeous setup with all your aquatic plants a-la dutch planted aquarium, it may not be the best environment for your Cephalotus. Of course, time will tell. Let us know how it goes. I'm very interested in the ultimate result of this setup.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-06-2011 at 05:30 PM. Reason: N. A.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looking fantastic man! I love your setup. Can u please tell me what pots are those in which u grow those orchid like plants that you used the rubber thingy to grow those plants above wateR? It really looks perfect for small neps and orchids which I am suddenly gaining an interest in.

BTW...if u can give suffficient ventilation to those Cephalotus while them getting that running water, I personally would imagine that your plants will thrive. But keep us posted. Hopefully they do fine and u have demonstrated a very unique way of cultivating carnivorous plants.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-06-2011 at 05:30 PM. Reason: N. A.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The *pots* are plastic worm feeders.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Smart usage of those feeder cups. I would never have thought of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its natural habitat is spring fed peat swamps......moving water is the key to making it work.....moving water brings O2 to the roots.......not surprised at all that it works.....good job........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I'd post an update, a few months after the first post I lost one of the 3 on the wall. It just collasped for no good reason. It has not regrown and with so much humidity and moisture there is not much left of the plant anymore, so it is a complete loss.

The other two have atleast doubled in size since the last picture. I can't say anything for the long term success of this but its working ok for me in the short term, your mileage will probably vary.

I'm growing another Cephalotus on a piece of driftwood more successfully here http://www.orchidboard.com/community...o-minis-3.html The Cephalotus was added as an after thought, one of those...were do I put this piece things. Should be updating that thread today with a better Cephalotus picture, not that the orchid people care about that . That Cephalotus is approx. 2" from 2 T5HO bulbs and just sitting on a piece of driftwood, its gets all its water from the wicking of the driftwood. That piece is not as wet and that Cephalotus seems to like that amount of water much better, although to be fair the original division was much larger and that may have alot more to do with it, and it gets ALOT more light, less humidity, hotter temps.

If you look closely to the right you can see some Utricularia graminifolia with a few bladders . Silly plant, always has to be in the picture.

Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-06-2011 at 05:32 PM. Reason: N. A.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those that don't want to look through that ever growing thread here is that Cephalotus.

I can't find the original picture with the starting date and orginal starting condition, but here is the latest on a leaf pull I took. I've taken 2 and this is the first to see results, the other is still green so there is still hope. The driftwood pieces are laying on sphagnum moss that is constantly wet, the leaf pull is very lightly wrapped in some sphagnum moss (about 1/8" ball of it, it that) and just placed on the wood. I water them every 1-5 days, very erratically, the vivarium has 80%+ humidity thou. The driftwood where the base of the leaf pull sits completely dries out every 2-3 days.

Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 03-06-2011 at 05:33 PM. Reason: N. A.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast