Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus growing on some Driftwood

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! I really like the moss, it's cool.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll bet it's the wetness levels then. I've got lotsa light over my Anoles viv enough to bloom plants and keep her happy on her basking perches but I don't deeply soak the soil all that often, bi-weekly maybe. It does stay plenty humid from heavy daily mistings, the soil never dries completely but it's not marshy at all since it's got a false bottom. I will try watering deeply more often and see what happens to the stuff.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I needed to pull a Ceph off the leaf cutting so I thought this would be a good time to update part of this thread. I removed all the various live mosses, there was alot, and this is what was left .

The entire piece of driftwood is very small so it is easy to pick up and inspect. The interesting thing I noticed was the completed lack of roots. I'm sure there is some because its anchored really well but they are not spreading out at all. For a leaf pull this size there should be a a few roots but nothing.

The wetness of the driftwood as it is now is how it always is, this piece is very constant and very easy to maintain a constant moisture level with and probably responsible for the lack of roots. The plant simply just doesn't need them.

Anyway here are the pics before I pulled one of the groups off.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I'd update this. I removed one of the two Ceph's to use it in anothing tank. So here is the single one left in there. I would not say this is a good way to grow Cephs...but it is growing. Note the U. graminifolia in there...silly weed.

Cephalotus

Here is that little piece of driftwood, I've been using it to take divisions. The sphagnum moss is making the Ceph grow long stems with leaves/pitchers on top of those stems. Just snipe the stem and repot. Easy.

Anyway here is the next crop. I would guess there is a good 3/4"-1" of moss there. Should be a nice stem.
    Cephalotus

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is an update on the Ceph, its still growing very slowly. This is not a good envoirment for Ceph's but it seems they can live long term and actually grow some.

Cephalotus typical

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice experiment! Your threads are inspirational...gives me hope my lil ceph with survive with only 2 months experience with CPs.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While doing my Ceph's check I noticed this guy was starting to grow a runner. Its hard to make out in the photo but here is it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how is it that they grow on drift wood when some say they need deep pots? just wondering.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast