Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Darlingtonia from Seed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For stratification, do they need humidity as well as cold? Cause my plan was to just throw the packets of seeds in the fridge (or freezer!) until sometime around March then put them in my LFS-regeneration project directly -- I've given Alpine Strawberry seeds that treatment to decent success.

Plans will change a bit if they need humidity at the same time -- I don't think I could put my live LFS project outside in sub-freezing temperatures or inside the fridge with no light, so I'd probably fold them inside a paper towel and soak that in Distilled Water, putting the whole mess in a ziplock bag. I've had decent success with that, too.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
    darlingtonia....slow? lol i guess its just my area then...Ron West grew the current plants i have from seed a little over a year and a half ago...and they are a pretty good size considering that. and when they are awake, are the fastest growing CP in my collection. by far faster than any nep, ping, dew, sarra, or even utrics i have. remember you need to poor coold water over their roots to keep them cool, when it gets above 90F here, i add ice cubes to the top of the media to keep them cool.
    A year and a half? Are you sure? I have seedlings that are going on five down here, where I'm pretty sure it's much milder, and they just reached adult appearance (not quite there on the size) last year or the year before that. Once you get flowers, send me some of that seed.
    In any case, Darlingtonia may be kind of slow (though no slower than any other pitcher plant as far as I can tell) but it definitely isn't hard if you have the proper seasonal temperatures. Starting them from seeds is probably a much better way to get them into your collection as a beginner - they're both cheaper and will grow up hardier that way. If you're worried about freezing temperatures, you may be able to overwinter them indoors - I've heard from several growers that swear by putting their Darlingtonia in with their highland Neps. You can think of it as a ten year project, but that's only if you're concerned about seeds. (And kind of pessimistic, to boot.) You'll be able to enjoy the seedlings by Spring.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just put them in plastic gumball containers with water in the butter keeper of th fridge. They need cold and wet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    I just put them in plastic gumball containers with water in the butter keeper of th fridge. They need cold and wet.
    Do you submerge them in water? I mean, do you mix the seeds in with peat moss and keep that damp in the containers or just seeds floating in water?

Edit: And how cold hardy is Darlingtonia? I'm in zone 5-6 or so, will I need to consider winterizing them, or might they survive outside without work? I'm reading some absolutely crazy claims that they can survive to -20C, which makes no sense at all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're just in water and -20 C is way too cold. I wouldn't get them below 30 F.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm going to probably put 1 out in an insulated pot for outside, and keep 1 in a pot in the windowsill. I have 70 seeds coming, so I should hopefully have some good germination rates -- might just keep half that in the fridge for now though, 35-70 seedlings is way past what I need.

How hard would seedlings be to ship, if I have spares?

Hopefully the lower temperatures and lesser light in the windowsill during winter will be enough for dormancy, if the outside ones don't make it...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once received a bunch of seedlings and the ydid fine... until I changed their growing conditions and subsequently killed them all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeds arrived today, along with a free piece of "Atomic Fireball" bubblegum.

... I'm as confused as you are, but hey, free gum! I guess it was to protect the seeds from being crushed in the mail system.

2 packets of 35ish seeds, going to empty one of them out right on top of a nice square of paper towel in a ziplock bag, the towel will act as a sponge, so... yeah. Thought is to put them in today and take them out either at the end of Feb or on the first day of Spring (Mar 20th).

Edit: Some escaped the paper's fold and ended up on top, but should be fine. As long as they're damp and cold, eh? Now, into the crisper w/ya!

The other packet I was just going to put straight up into the fridge for the time being until I had a better idea of what to do with it. Is "dry and cold" good conditions for saving seed?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast