Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Darlingtonia from Seed

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dry and cold is for storage, while wet and cold is for stratification.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A certain California-based nursery has these in stock, but I'm not giving up on the seeds just yet.

They've been in the fridge for a month now, no mold yet, I was planning to wait another 2-4 weeks before planting.

When I do plant, what's my best plan of action? I was thinking one of 3 plans:

1. Chinese food container that I'm growing live LFS in, just throwing the seeds in there.
    Problem: The D. Filiformis seeds I put in there have vanished and are completely gone, I think it's too airy a mixture to keep seeds from falling down.

2. Chinese food container that I'm sprouting some cuttings.
    Problem: It's peat/perlite, not LFS. I heard that for Cobra Lily seeds, you REALLY want pure LFS.

3. A standalone pot with diced dead LFS.
    Problem: No humidity dome, worried about the seeds falling between the LFS.

You don't bury Darlingtonia seeds, right? Just right on top of the media and go from there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well THAT arrived quick:

The grey pot is the one I'm putting the Darlingtonia in, the second it stays over 32 F at night. It is an insulated pot, so it should be ok. The plant is currently as close to the windowsill as I can humanly get it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, just watch how wet you keep it right now. They might rot during this time of year if kept too wet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Truncata View Post
    Cool, just watch how wet you keep it right now. They might rot during this time of year if kept too wet.
    Ok, I'll try to keep the water conservative.

It doesn't look dormant but I'm not sure how they look while dormant. They're right next to my VFT and Sarr that's inside, the VFT has a flower growing and the Sarr has an explosion of like 6 new pitchers coming up, so I am HOPING that's means that windowsill is getting enough sun to keep the Darlingtonia alive for a month or so until I can take it outside to stay. I plan on keeping the seedlings half inside half outside for the first few years or so.

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awsome thread, lotsa' great info.

On the dormancy issue:
    My death cube Darlingtonia has been kept outside all winter here (zone 6-7) with constant low temps, some nights below freezing, and minimal protection (just some mulch over the media). All of the top pitcher growth has browned, but some green is still visible at the base of each pitcher, meaning, hopefully, the plant has survived, and is still surviving (we had a huge blizzard today).
    So I believe these plants are pretty cold hardy and should survive in your conditions with a little bit of protection.

Good luck with the seedlings.

Matt
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, in theory I'm in Zone 6, but I might be closer to Zone 5. It's been below freezing all night long for the past few months, with a few weeks in a row of 24x7 temps below 20F.

Weirdly enough, my outdoor temperature sensor says it's 51 degrees, Weatherunderground says... 51. Huh. Well, if it keeps this kinda temperatures up I'll be able to put my Tracyi and Darlingtonia out this week.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cold stratify the seeds on damp media (peat, LFS, paper towel etc.) in the refrigerator for 4 weeks.

Sow on top of media. Chopped LFS is my media of choice - tamp it down lightly to minimize spaces for seeds to drop into. Live Sphagnum will quickly over grow the seeds unless you trim it back constantly.

Peat/Perlite mix is ok for Darlingtonia. Keep it about 30/70 Peat to Perlite. About the same if using LFS and Perlite. You want an airy substrate.

Germinate the seeds covered under lights at room temperatures. I average about 10 days for germination.

Oversize your pots by at least one size.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast