Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S x Mitchelliana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S x Mitchelliana

Hi Cp lovers.....

Okays so i have my mitchelliana for some time now about 3/4 of a year and i got it from a local nursery and so far it has shown no signs of dormancy and probally when it was at the nursery it didn't to considering it looks very healthy....When i bought it pitchers were around 10cm at most while now they are much bigger and fatter going 21cm And after so long i have yet to see a flower......Why is this??

And if anyone has any care tips for them please post it here.....And pics of yours will definitly be appreciated

Ken
    Well i have a growlist her but anyways heres mine in another forum.

http://www.forum.petpitcher.com/showthread.php?t=1119

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on how old it is. A Sarracenia usually flowers at the age of 4-6 years.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Capensis

Well i have no idea how old is it but i'm pretty sure that it is atr least around the age you mentioned considering the amount of separations from rhizome and pitchers it has made...........I'm not even sure if it is a S Mitchelliana...Because when i look at the Savage Garden Book it shows S purpurea x leucophylla it looks different.....Well pitchers are a little tubby like mine but the difference is the lid....In the book the pitcher is having a lid which closes the mouth but mine is fully open so purpurea is definitly in.....It has quite a lot of veins everywhere and has the most reddish colouration at the peristrome and around that area...Most parts are pinkish green well mostly green no matter how much sun i give....

Ken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!

I think this species needs just about the same care as any other sarracenia. In the summer lots of sun water and temps 20C-35C. In the winter i let it go through dormancy at constant temperature of 8C and the sbstrate only moist. It is doing great... mine hasnt flowered for me since it is a very young plant. Here s a pic of what it looked like in september/october. (Now of course most of the leaves are dead)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Klasac

Okays so i guess i can assure mine is a S x Mitchelliana since it looks exactly like yours except it has more pitchers and larger ones.....Argh reminding me of dormancy mine has never go through dormancy and most probally didn't in the local nursery i bought from to...Soooo each day passing by i'm just waiting for it to die....Sad eh i don't have time for it to go dormancy my tropcial climate is unforgiving for sarr dormancy and + fridge is no allowed...Soooooo i'll see how it goes for this guy still very strong guy

Ken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ken!

Well dormancy i think for this sarr is kinda big deal and maybe that is why it doesnt look too healthy and why it hasent flowered for you yet despite its maturity. Maybe you have a pic of your specimen?

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flowering is also triggered by the change in the seasons, so my guess would be since you live in a tropical area the light and temps haven't not changed enough to trigger flower development (if it is mature enough to flower).

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will flower after dormancy.

It you can't give it a dormancy, it will die, let alone flower.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast