What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my cephs.. now. (i tried propagating using live lfs)

alright guys.... i did some leaf pullings...around 20 days ago.. and planted them on live long fiber sphagnum.. no results seen yet, but some leaves turned yellow.. some remain green!!!

100_6601.jpg

100_6602.jpg

100_6604.jpg

100_6606.jpg

just some live LFS on my baby truncata pot =)
100_6607.jpg

100_6608.jpg

ill update you guys about it!

I've always wondered.......................................

Would rooting hormone powder help with leaf pullings to strike?

I guess it might be species dependent I suppose. . .

If that's how the leaves look, after 3 weeks, then you will have a bazillion plantlets in February.

that doesnt look like a truncata

I was thinking just the same thing. The stem sort of looks like truncata, but then again, I don't own one so I'm probably wrong.
Edit: Are truncata's stem/vine fuzzy? I can see hair on it. Maybe it could be veitchii?

N. truncata leaves are like little heart shaped squares.

xvart.

that doesnt look like a truncata

most baby neps never look like what theyre supposed to unless adult. truncata is one of them.. they undergo drastic changes in leaf and pitcher shape and pitcher colour.

that is not quite a truncata. The leaves are much longer than normal. When my truncata was half an inch across the leaves were heart shaped on distinct petioles. Yours seems more like maxima.

Yah, that isn't truncata...

N. truncata even as a very young juvenile plant will have characteristic N. truncata shaped leaves. Sorry to say your plant is 100% guaranteed without a doubt not a N. truncata.

alright. thanks for the information.

im wondering if those leaves will sprout...

they seem healthy, I say you are gonna have a good amount of plants in there.

update - still no signs of leaves striking as of 1 February 2009.

leaves were inserted into live sphagnum on 2 January 2009.

Don't worry, as long as they're not rotting they have a good chance of striking.

alright.

i had itchy fingers a few days ago and actually pulled out one of the leaves in the live sphagnum moss..

tomy surprise, there were roots! but they were only about like an inch long, and white in colour.

so i removed it and potted it into peat.. hopefully itll continue growing and sprout a grotwh tip for stem formation.

update - still no signs of leaves striking as of 1 February 2009.

leaves were inserted into live sphagnum on 2 January 2009.
My most recent strike occurred on Jan 24, 2009. I placed it in the pot on Sept 24, 2008. While this may be a bit longer than usual, I've learned to not give up for quite a while. One time, even after the original leaf had wilted away, I dug it up and found a cyst-like ball below the surface. Oddly, there were no roots. I put it back in the media and several weeks later, there was a shoot. I think I recall Big Bella having one take quite a while ....

My most recent strike occurred on Jan 24, 2009. I placed it in the pot on Sept 24, 2008. While this may be a bit longer than usual, I've learned to not give up for quite a while. One time, even after the original leaf had wilted away, I dug it up and found a cyst-like ball below the surface. Oddly, there were no roots. I put it back in the media and several weeks later, there was a shoot. I think I recall Big Bella having one take quite a while ....

The longest wait for a strike I have ever experienced with Cephalotus took over a year. Perhaps there was earlier -- callus -- development below the compost, but it was easily twelve months long before any leaf developed; the shortest strike occurred within three weeks.

Damn nasty little plant . . .

this is the leaf with roots an inch long i picked out of the LSM. as you can see from the picture i planted it in peat.
100_6752.jpg

the basket as of 13/2/2009 (friday the 13th hahahaha)
100_6753.jpg

Back