Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Frozen Sars :(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think that putting them from a frozen car to a heated green house might shock them more than anything, i keep my in an unheated garage where they freeze up occasionally with no ill effects. I'd say let them thaw out where they normally would be. as long as they don't stay frozen for weeks at a time, which would keep them from getting water as Mr. Truncata said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I looked at the plants this morning and all of the pitchers are turning brown and drying up already. I am not sure if the roots were damaged at all yet. So at this point it is possible that they may recover and it is possible that they may not. Will have to keep an eye on them and while I am waiting I will start up a whole new batch of seeds just to get my mind off of it even though the seeds take a million years to grow up to mature plants.
    I consider every plant hardy until I kill it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's pretty hard to kill sarracenia by temperature alone.

No problem in thawing them, but make sure they warm up *slowly*. If you bring a frozen VFT into a 70F room it will turn to brown mush. But thaw it gently and it will be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were the plants dormant?? Sarrs will easily survive 25F for a brief period if dormant (I assume you mean 25F and not -25C, which is artic temps!!). Tropicals will die if frozen, though if the roots were not frozen they may grow back from them. Good luck!
    -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woodnative, RavnKing is from Canada, it's entirely possible that he saw -25C weather. Crazy thought...

I hope they're tougher than that, temps around here have been in the single digits (lowest I've seen was 8F) with HIGHS in the 20s. But then again, it's a nice 51F out right now, so... Hopefully the worst is over.

My Sarrs outside appear ok, they are losing some color but not much. No winterization at all, alas. The VFTs I had out died pretty spectacularly though, the one I repotted was essentially sitting on top of the media (whoops), the other one -- the one I really wanted to keep -- died after I finally freaked out and brought it in about 2 weeks ago.

Ah well, live and learn.

There was that great picture-full post in the bog forum about a guy planting an in-ground bog in Canada, who was winterizing things and keeping them alive after being submerged in 5+ feet of snow at well below zero. Can't find it handily now, though.

Edit: Ah, here it is:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=104642

Most of the pictures are gone, now, however.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just so everyone is clear, I am in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. Pretty much central Canada. The temps here swing from 40C in the summer to about -40C in the winter. It was only -25C when the plants froze which to us is not really cold as you do acclimatize to it. Good thing it was not the previous week as we broke a bunch of records and with the windchill one day it was -51C which is pretty much -60F. We make it through no problem but the tropical plants don't like it so they have to be brought indoors in the fall. Like I said though, I will keep them under the lights and see what happens and maybe a couple will have survived but by the looks of them right now, I am not getting my hopes up.
    I consider every plant hardy until I kill it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoops. I didn't realize you were in central Canada. I grew up in Pennsylvania/New Jersey and that is too cold for me!! mcantrell- Snow is a great insulator.....plants buried under that much snow will be feeling temps at the freezing mark even when the air above is much colder!
    RavnKing I hope they come through ok. If not, you will have the space for new plants.

Learning How To Multiply Indigo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aww man hopefully they will be ok.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast