Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cephalotus follicularis: repotting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Varun, do you use fertilizers at all?

Hope your repotting s successful.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys. Nope! I use no fertilizers whatsoever. I do however feed my plants with bugs which is still in my opinion the best way to fertilize.
    lol Bigbella! man! you and av8tor1 have the best cephs I have ever seen (apart from Jmatt's ceph tank). Even Av8tor told me that cephs need to be repotted regularly for good growth.

Already one of the pitchers from the bigger plant has started closing its lid. So I just put a plastic bag around it to bring up the humidity a bit. Lets see what happens.

Personally...I just picked this time to repot arbitrarily. I didn't know its the best time to repot. lol! I just did it becos I had to do it sometime. The pot was getting crowded and the little crappy sheet moss was getting on my nerves. If u notice, I placed a couple strands of polytrichum sp. moss in the new pots and am hoping that it will take off.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    thanks guys. Nope! I use no fertilizers whatsoever. I do however feed my plants with bugs which is still in my opinion the best way to fertilize.
    lol Bigbella! man! you and av8tor1 have the best cephs I have ever seen (apart from Jmatt's ceph tank). Even Av8tor told me that cephs need to be repotted regularly for good growth.

Already one of the pitchers from the bigger plant has started closing its lid. So I just put a plastic bag around it to bring up the humidity a bit. Lets see what happens.

Personally...I just picked this time to repot arbitrarily. I didn't know its the best time to repot. lol! I just did it becos I had to do it sometime. The pot was getting crowded and the little crappy sheet moss was getting on my nerves. If u notice, I placed a couple strands of polytrichum sp. moss in the new pots and am hoping that it will take off.
    Winter and early Spring seem to be the best times for repotting Cephalotus -- during the production of "vegetative" leaves -- before very active growth, and the later production of pitcher leaves; but I have transplanted them at other times of the year without incident, and have sent bare-root plants overseas and through the lowland gorillas at Customs without any casualties.

Once again, these plants are not as remotely sensitive as many would have you believe -- provided that you don't do the repotting with boxing gloves and a salad spinner . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aaah! I gotchya. Personally I imagined that the plants get desensitized in indoor conditions. For the most part...in the past year, the temps have been consistent as during the summer, I was in a basement. This means highland temps for the past full year from jan 08 to jan09. Cephs IMO love this. I did notice stages when vegetative growth was peaking. However, this always happened whenever i fed the plants any bugs. They immediately put out some leaves. In my understanding, it was trying to maximize light exposure to get energy to break down the complex molecules that comprise a bug into the simple elements it needed to absorb.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post

Once again, these plants are not as remotely sensitive as many would have you believe -- provided that you don't do the repotting with boxing gloves and a salad spinner . . .
    LOL! very very true. I was gentle with it. But I was in no way freaking out as much as I did in sept 07 when I repotted my main ceph for the first time.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, I remember the 07' repotting quite well, man you were a mess...

youve come a long ways varun, I can remember you complaining about never having more then one or two living adult pitchers at a time... problems with fungus, people telling you your cephs would be dead in a month if you didnt use fungicide immediately etc etc etc

all it took was a little faith ey mate

now look at ya, maw... our boy has grown up!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup B! truly! Now I can look back in relief of truly how far I have come. I now realize of all the things u used to say about the easiness and hardiness of cephs.

Of course.......I wouldn't be here without help from Mr. professor. lol!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice plants!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12