Thread: Cephalotus follicularis: repotting

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Cephalotus follicularis: repotting

Hey guys,

Here are my 1 year old root and leaf cutting. I decided to finally repot it and give them more room to grow. I flipped the entire pot upside down ....the pitchers emptied...but the plant came out cleanly. media is mostly peat moss + tons of perlite with a handful of orchid bark.

The plants had great root systems as you can see. These are truly started from root and leaf cuttings. The bigger one is the root cutting. Note: order of plants in teh second pic is respective of the ones on the left after potting.

The plants were before in a 4 inch square pot that is like 3 inches tall. The roots were coming out of the drainage holes. The roots are like 6-7 inches long.

Now my only hope is that the plants don't experience a die back. If they do...its a lesson learnt on how "NOT" to repot a ceph. lol! I am confident they will survive htough. the root systems are very very tough as you can see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you showed these to me on MSN...absolutely amazing Varun

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incredible, they grew incredibly fast.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well done V,
    more evidence that cephs can and do grow fast... if they are happy.

Butch

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you sensei. Is there anything amiss that you can spot ? I truly hope there is no dieback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are huge for only being 1 year old. O.o They look great, hopefully they won't have much stress.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    beautifuly done! my little SG guys have some work to do lol.
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    Hey guys,

Here are my 1 year old root and leaf cutting. I decided to finally repot it and give them more room to grow. I flipped the entire pot upside down ....the pitchers emptied...but the plant came out cleanly. media is mostly peat moss + tons of perlite with a handful of orchid bark.

The plants had great root systems as you can see. These are truly started from root and leaf cuttings. The bigger one is the root cutting. Note: order of plants in teh second pic is respective of the ones on the left after potting.

The plants were before in a 4 inch square pot that is like 3 inches tall. The roots were coming out of the drainage holes. The roots are like 6-7 inches long.

Now my only hope is that the plants don't experience a die back. If they do...its a lesson learnt on how "NOT" to repot a ceph. lol! I am confident they will survive htough. the root systems are very very tough as you can see.
    I routinely repot my Cephalotus plants every couple of years, both to give them a bit more "breathing room" and to take divisions when possible. You shouldn't have any problem whatsoever repotting -- and this is the perfect time of the year to be doing it.

Nice plants . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast