Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well, almost wake up time!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Est View Post
    Dear everyone, I respectfully submit "nya nya"

It's OK though. I'll probably get a hard frost that'll kill them all. Or, to make up for all of the sunshine we've been having (and associated lack of precipitation) they'll all go up in flames when California bursts in to flames (again) this year.

So far I've got in the vicinity of 20 flowers in various states of development. The growth you see if old growth that wasn't trimmed back. Somehow I didn't expect my plants to wake up in freakin' JANUARY.
    Same here in SanJo. This is perhaps the earliest I've seen my sarras wake up in the year's I've been growing them.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My threadleaf dews are breaking thru their old husks already.........

And they've been hibernating in drafty cold windows all winter too.

Stubborn little fellas...........
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im considering trying an experiment this year..

rather than bring the plants of of dormancy around February 15th, as is my custom:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/CP/page5a.html

I might just leave alone for another 6 weeks or so..so they can go straight outside outside in April rather than spend February-March indoors..I dont know, I havent decided yet..

the only problem with that idea is that if its get too warm in March, they might break dormancy in the dark..which wouldnt be good..

I will proabably just brng them out in February!
    but the "leaving them alone until April" theory has some merits..
    hmmmm..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised you take them out in Feb. Don't they just produce weedy, light starved pitchers until the sun is stronger?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    Im considering trying an experiment this year..

rather than bring the plants of of dormancy around February 15th, as is my custom:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/CP/page5a.html

I might just leave alone for another 6 weeks or so..so they can go straight outside outside in April rather than spend February-March indoors..I dont know, I havent decided yet..

the only problem with that idea is that if its get too warm in March, they might break dormancy in the dark..which wouldnt be good..

I will proabably just brng them out in February!
    but the "leaving them alone until April" theory has some merits..
    hmmmm..

Scot
    I was debating this very same issue. Mine are already showing signs of life in my dark garage, so I think I'm going to have to take them out soon! I was planning on waiting til early April.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a fridge dormancy last Oct. so mine have been out for a couple weeks now and are starting to show new growth.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexis View Post
    I'm surprised you take them out in Feb. Don't they just produce weedy, light starved pitchers until the sun is stronger?
    yeah..they do...(but it has nothing to with the outdoor sun..it has to do with the indoor sun..the sun is plenty bright in February..plants wouldnt be "light starved" if they were outdoors in February..but they CANT be outdoors in February because its far too cold..)

but taking them out mid-february (indoors) is done for two reasons..

1. time is up anyway..thats 3.5 months of dormancy, as much as they get in the wild..
    but up here in Western NY spring is a month and half later than "south east US spring"..
    so from the plant's perspective, mid-February is the natural time to come out of dormancy..

2. Its still nice and cold in the stairwell in mid-February..they are still naturally dormant then..so I can create an "artificial spring" simply by bringing them into the house and letting them live in a window for 6 weeks..

The (potential) problem with leaving them in the stairwell for an extra 6 weeks is that it starts to warm up through March into April...its not warm enough for them be outside 24/7..but it might be warm enough for them to break dormancy..and if they break dormancy in the dark stairwell, they will try to begin growing with no light..which would be bad..so thats the concern..

Scot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12