What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which pot should I grow my Cephalotus in?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
I'm about to buy a Cephalotus in the upcoming weeks. Which pot would be best for a Cephalotus that's an inch wide?

From left to right, there's a 4 inch pot, then another 4 inch pot, but it's a little deeper, and then there's a large 5 inch pot.

pots1.jpg

I'd go with the second or third pot. Even a young Cephalotus can have a long rhizome; and if you're planning on using a watering tray, deeper is the way to go . . .

the 5 inch........i put a similar sized Ceph in a 6 or 7 inch pot....didnt regret it..........

Okay, I'm thinking about growing the Cephalotus in the 4 inch pot. However, I'm not going to grow it on the tray system like I previously did. Instead, I'm going to occasionally drip it overhead with water keeping the soil damp instead of waterlogged like on the tray system. In a few years when it gets bigger, I'll transplant it to a larger pot.

None of my Cephalotus have ever been "waterlogged" by the tray system, and I have used that method for years. The plants typically have only a half-inch of water or so in their trays -- which is allowed to completely evaporate before being refilled . . .

Back