What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

finally got my first ceph..:)

hi everyone,

i finally got my first ceph from a local grower..a nice plant indeed..i really want to post the pic but i have yet to figure out how to..the question is,i would like to give it artificial light coz i'm not getting much sun at my windowsill..i'm planning to use a table lamp with daylight cf bulb..usually,how many watts is enough to bring out the reds in the plants?i have read about the length of time the light shud be left on but i have not found the number of wattage required to get the colour out of these lil' guys..any suggestions from ur experience growing these guyz?any inputs would be greatly apreciated..thanks

regards,

Anne

Congrats on your first Ceph!

I'm not too familiar with their light. All I know is that plants that are shaded grow bigger and are greener than plants grown in more light.

Just experiment with the light and see what happens. Can't wait to see pics. How big is it?

I have a Ceph under T5 bulbs. There are (3) 24 watt bulbs, but it gets most of its light from only one of them. It has a great red color on the two newest pitchers.

thnx guyz..i'm thinking of using hubby's old unused aquarium t5 lights..the reading on the tubes says 10000k daylight and there are 6 of them..they are 2ft in length and i think the wattage is 24w each..its kinda old and some of the printing on the tubes are not clear..would this light fixture be sufficient enuf?

ahmad,the plants are roughly 3" in diameter and the largest pitcher is 3cm i think(haven't measured it with a ruler yet).i'd post pics when i finally figured out how to post them alrite..;-)

regards,

anne

here are the pics as promise..hope u all enjoy..:)

DSC01091.jpg

Cep3.jpg

DSC01102.jpg

I see some "winter leaves". I would attempt to propogate them in another pot.

Oh, that's a lovely plant. Congratulations. :)

Very established plant. What size pot is it in?

thnks for the comments guys..i thought i will do juz that,jim..becoz this is gonna be my first try,i'm gonna keep my fingers crossed that it'll root for me..barlorguy,its in a 4" pot..

regards,

anne

Very nice Ceph! I hope you enjoy it. :)

I'm also amazed at the size of the plant you got. Most Cephs for sale are less than an inch across, yet yours looks pretty big.

Btw, does anyone see the Ceph "Hummers Giant" going for more than $100 on ebay?

hmm..i'm sure about that though coz its the first time i got one for myself..btw,do u have the link for that ebay site?

regards,

anne

A great plant. My advice for leaf cuttings:

- Take a small drained container.
- Fill the bottom 1/3 of it with 1:1 Peat/Perlite
- Fill the top 2/3 of the pot with live LFS.
- Spray the LFS and the peat/perlite with water
- Place the cephalotus cuttings between the LFS and the peat/perlite mix. It's alright if the cuttins get a little covered.
- Cover the whole container with a piece of plastic wrap and put it in a humid, cool, but bright environment (probably alongside your parent plant).
- Never water the container with the cuttings in it, except when using the tray method. Then keep the water at about 1 cm deep or less. I only use the tray if I think I did not spray enough water in the container initially.

In a few weeks to a couple months you will see significant growth. Good luck Anne!

hi jeff,

thnks very much for the tips..now to pull enuf courage to make the pullings..:p

regards,

anne

hmm..i'm sure about that though coz its the first time i got one for myself..btw,do u have the link for that ebay site?

regards,

anne

Just go to www.ebay.com and search "Cephalotus". You'll see the crazy amounts of money people are paying for Cephalotus

yup,saw that..maybe coz its a rare cultivar that people are willing to pay high price for the plant..:)

thnks for the comments guys..i thought i will do juz that,jim..becoz this is gonna be my first try,i'm gonna keep my fingers crossed that it'll root for me..barlorguy,its in a 4" pot..

regards,

anne

Here's a pictoral timeline to go with Jeff's written description:

C_follicularis.jpg

IMG_4309.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

hi jim,

how long would it take for a cutiing to be the size of the plant in the 3rd pic?i've oredi started mine and i hope they would strike for me.. :)

That took several months. It takes a few weeks for the leaf to sprout.

i'll juz wait and see if the pullings will root for me then..meanwhile,i'm looking for infos on which color temperature is right to cephalotus to color up..i have a set of t5s,but not sure is its good for cephalotus..

Back