What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flower Watch 2009

Nice pics and Brokken and Joossa! Nice colors already on all of those

Unknown. Yay. My first flower ever:
SN853611.jpg

S. leuco 'Tarnok' beginning to bloom:
SN853616.jpg

Edit: Forgot to include S. alata Southwest LA:
SN853615.jpg

Last edited:
Heh, the S. catesbaei looks like it can't figure out up from down. It'll sort itself out.

5 so far!

Plenty more to come - this week is actually warm and sunny for the first time in a long time.

By the way Joosa - only cultivar names are put in single quotation marks.

You have an S.x catesbaei and an S. oreophila, Alabama.

Heh, the S. catesbaei looks like it can't figure out up from down. It'll sort itself out.
I know! LOL. I just got this one in the mail from Andrew, maybe it had a growth sprout during shipping and got all confused... :)

By the way Joosa - only cultivar names are put in single quotation marks.

You have an S.x catesbaei and an S. oreophila, Alabama.

Thanks! The oreo came labeled as S. oreophila 'Alabama'. I asked to person I got it from and he said that the 'Alabama' was an unregistered cultivar and that it did not refer to location information.

I asked to person I got it from and he said that the 'Alabama' was an unregistered cultivar and that it did not refer to location information.

Ah. Unregistered cultivars get double quotes.

I'm not sure about the rules for cultivars having place names though? Latin isn't allowed, I know that much.

When I got this plant from my local CP nursery, I was told that it was rosea. However it was about an inch at a time. Even now it's still a juvenile, but old enough to finally put out a flower and confirm that it's in fact an S. rosea:

sroseaafterall.jpg

It is also the first of my sarras to flower.

I love the flower on there Brokken! I idnt know the pitchers on rosea could get so deep red, gonna have to get me one of those eventually hehe The binata looks good as well :)

Beautiful! :love:

I see pitcher production is up and running too....

Current count puts me at 47. And the season is young yet, I'm not even seeing any S. rubra flowers yet, and they normally dominate the playing field.

I'll have to get some pictures later.

Some notables are S. flava 'All Green', S. 'Leah Wilkerson', I think 'White Sparkler' has a few... Looks like my last growing season is going to end with a bang! Hopefully I can put some good crosses to my name. ;)

Well, my current count is one : a crazy Darlingtonia that's trying to flower. Should I snip it?

I didn't count... But I've got pictures, does that count? :-O Can't wait for more to open :-D
Enjoy, Andrew
PS- sorry for the poor camera phone pictures...

0317091743.jpg

0317091743a.jpg

0317091743b.jpg

0319091731.jpg

0317091744a.jpg

0317091744.jpg

Looking great, Andy. Very pretty.

These are the bog gardens in their new home. They should get far more light here than at the previous location:

newsarraceniahome.jpg

My Sarracenia Purpurea just opened up a few days ago:

flower2.jpg

I somehow missed this thread earlier. The current score is as follows:

Darlingtonia californica -- three flowers in one pot (from a plant which skipped flowering altogether in 2008)
Cephalotus follicularis "Double-Ribbed" -- one flower stalk forming as of 20 March (it usually flowers in August / September)
Cephalotus follicularis "Hummer's Giant" --one flower stalk developing as of 14 April (also well ahead of time)

Helliamphora "Tequila" -- one bloom and another on its way.
Sarracenia oreophila -- one bloom, so far.

I got another! Sarracenia 'Judith Hindle'

That brings me up to one Sarracenia and one Darlingtonia.

S.x "Judith Hindle" (the variegation is due to being greenhouse grown)

2009march26greenhouse046.jpg

Adrian Slack showing off its mixed heritage:

09flowers-adrianslack.jpg

Purpurea venosa:

09flowers-purpurea.jpg

Nice brokken, I really want to have some flowers next year...

Back