What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flower Watch 2009

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
One of Bugweed's favorite activities was counting the flowers in his Sarracenia collection. To keep the spirit of our absent Sarracenia guru let us keep the tradition going.

all buds so far:

2 - S. leucophylla
16 - S. leucophylla 'Tarnok'
5 - S. flava
3 - S. x "Dana's Delight"
3 - S. oreophila "Sand Mountain #2"
1 - S. rosea

ET phone home (S. oreophila):
P2240033.jpg

My list so far includes:

smoorei02.jpg

3 Dana's Delight
4 leucophylla
2 Judith Hindle
2 flava var. flava
3 flava var rugelli
4 purpurea ssp. venosa
2 wriggleyana
4 Dixie Lace
1 rubra ssp. rubra
1 Cobra Nest
1 Adrian Slack
2 leuco x jonesii
3 moorei
1 flava var. ornata
2 flava var. atropurpurea
1 flava var. cuprea
1 rosea
4 alata "Night"

1 Unknown
1 Leucophylla, which I'm getting a feeling is 'Tarnok'. I'll get a picture later.

Ahh. You guys already have flower buds? I'll post mine sometime in April, probably.

yeah my guys were just about to break dormancy and start putting out new growth with our 65 degree day a couple days ago...

and then BOOM today it snowed 5 inches right on top of everything...

ridiculous

The Unknown:
SN853499.jpg

What I THINK is the 'Tarnok' flower. It has all these petal/sepals:
SN853502.jpg

Another leucophylla that might or might not flower:
SN853500.jpg

1- S. Leucophylla 'Tarnok'

the first x)

Brokk. better pollinate the Adrian slack with something good ;)

Just one on my eldest Darlingtonia so far, but I've got my fingers crossed! Once it stops snowing every few days I expect more.
~Joe

Ahh. You guys already have flower buds? I'll post mine sometime in April, probably.

Me too! My collection is still in a co-worker's garage.

LOL no kidding Seedjar!!!
I hate washington!!!!
one day it was sunny and 60ºF
and the next day its 27ºF and snowing X_X

Here are some more sarracenia buds now that I found my camera again:

sarraceniaflower01.jpg

sarraceniaflower02.jpg

sarraceniaflower03.jpg

sarraceniaflower04.jpg

Geez. Besides that I don't even currently own a sarracenia, I would just be happy to have one flower!

Update:

3 - 'Judith Hindle' (two plants)

4 of my S. alata bloomed about a week ago. I cut the flowers since I don't really want more alata seed and would prefer they put their energy to pitchers. Others that have open include flava, minor - 'Okeefenokee Giant', rubra subsp. rubra, oreophila X purpurea. Several others have buds, I will take a head count when I get home and snap a few photo's as well.

I'm still a sarr flower virgin, so hopefully I'll get some this year.

BTW, my plants are still in dormancy too. The temps here are still below freezing some nights.

Awesome Pictures NAN and Brokken! So far 2x S. flava var. cuprea , 1 open, pollinated and starting to form seed, other still closed.

Ok, so the other leucophylla in the picture is officially going to bloom. I noticed that my S. purp growth point was bluged, so I tried to peak inside a bit, and sure enough, it's a flower bud! Just wondering when it's going to put it out. :I

My wish came true. My S. x "Black and Red" is throwing up a flower at four years of age! :-O
P3170030.jpg

S. oreophila "Alabama"
P3170021.jpg

S. x catesbaei
P3170042.jpg

Nice pics joossa. :)

Yeah, as of this morning, I counted 89 buds in my sarras. I'll try to take pictures before I move them to their new home.

Back