Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Er, is this true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokken View Post
    This seller is not saying that the plants don't require dormancy. He's saying that the plants don't go dormant during winter. This statement could be read as "It doesn't lose its folliage during winter" an attribute that could easily apply to S. purpurea and a number of purpurea hybrids.
    No..I dont think so..
    I dont see how anyone could interpret "Great for winter as they don't go dormant" as "seller is not saying that the plants don't require dormancy."

yes, the seller is saying the plants dont require dormancy.
    I dont see how "they dont go dormant" could be interpreted any other way..

Besides, if you know better than this guy regarding sarracenia habits, what does it matter? Just ignore the bad advice and cultivate your sarras providing them the conditions that will result in optimal growth.
    yes, all of us here know better..but people buying a new plant for the first time dont know better..they will believe what the seller tells them..usually thats not a problem, as most CP sellers give good cultivation advice...in this case, a CP seller is giving bad cultivation advice..
    and thats irreresponsible IMO..CP sellers should give proper advice, so people know how to cultivate these plants correctly..

Scot

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, all of us here know better..but people buying a new plant for the first time dont know better..they will believe what the seller tells them..usually thats not a problem, as most CP sellers give good cultivation advice...in this case, a CP seller is giving bad cultivation advice..
    and thats irreresponsible IMO..CP sellers should give proper advice, so people know how to cultivate these plants correctly..

That was my earlier point exactly. Sure, tissue culture allows for the availability of exotic plants the year round and off-season, but offers little to the public at large in terms of solid cultivation practices.This forum and other sources aside, the average kid (or kid's mother) buying an "Octopus Plant" or "Cobra Plant" (as I once saw S. pupurea described at Home Depot) -- or whatever other silliness they market Drosera or Sarracenia as, has little to no clue about the odd plant in the "Lowe's Death Cube" and even less how to make it survive a season.

Adding improper cultural instructions and unrealistic expectations, only adds insult to injury; and it remains no mystery why carnivorous plants are still considered a queer novelty and are seen as difficult (at best) to maintain . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    No..I dont think so..
    I dont see how anyone could interpret "Great for winter as they don't go dormant" as "seller is not saying that the plants don't require dormancy."

yes, the seller is saying the plants dont require dormancy.
    I dont see how "they dont go dormant" could be interpreted any other way..
    That's your interpretation. Having dealt with Sales for a long time, I can see how an argument could be made to state otherwise.

yes, all of us here know better..but people buying a new plant for the first time dont know better..they will believe what the seller tells them..usually thats not a problem, as most CP sellers give good cultivation advice...in this case, a CP seller is giving bad cultivation advice..

Scot
    Irresponsible of the seller yes. Irresponsible of the buyer to get something on impulse before researching it first - also true. I consider both parties guilty of negligence.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, sorry, I didn't think that this would cause so much trouble. It wasn't my intention, but I did think it would be important for me to point it out at least to get an idea of what people think.

Not picking sides, but, I'm a PhD literary student and half of what I do involves analysing text and discourse and, though it may have not been the sellers intention, not matter which way you look at what he has said, the point he is trying to make remains the same; that is, these plants, what ever they are, do not experience winter dormancy which we all know is bunk. The problem is, he is the only person currently selling the species I want. Do I have a moral obligation to shun his service, or do I buy irrespective?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by requiemsong View Post
    Hey guys, sorry, I didn't think that this would cause so much trouble. It wasn't my intention, but I did think it would be important for me to point it out at least to get an idea of what people think.

Not picking sides, but, I'm a PhD literary student and half of what I do involves analysing text and discourse and, though it may have not been the sellers intention, not matter which way you look at what he has said, the point he is trying to make remains the same; that is, these plants, what ever they are, do not experience winter dormancy which we all know is bunk. The problem is, he is the only person currently selling the species I want. Do I have a moral obligation to shun his service, or do I buy irrespective?
    Your choice, you do not have to listen to his growing instructions, and buy the plant and grow it your way. Hence the quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Really bad grower that tricks new growers into thinking their buying a year round plant. :)
    Great for winter as they don't go dormant

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a moral obligation to buy as many of his plants as you can, propagate them and put him out of business.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12