0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i feel really sorry for you ... :[ hope everything turns out okay.;]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leaf miner!! hah I am kidding.. The blurry specks in the first picture look like nothing more than specks of dirt in the high res. shot. Nice work with the Iphone and magnifying glass hehe.

I would just keep an eye on the trouble leaves and see that it doesn't spread anymore. They look quite healthy aside from that. Try not to get the leaves wet or splash water on them. If it is fungal that could spread it. If worse comes to worse you could clip the questionable parts off.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here is something interesting I got:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3q2PEB9MAI

This will prove that the nep pest isn't whitefly but something else and my bet is on scale.

LOL! yeah! iphone is basically a jack of all trades but master of none. thanks. lol!

yeah! The thing is I have never seen that leaf necrosis on my cephs before this whole repotting and pest problem. My concern is if the scale has actually spread to it. As of now I don't see any signs and cephs are insanely slow growers so its hard to know if they are infected.

Good news is that the bayer insecticide didn't harm the heli. It was disgusting to pick the scale off it. YUCK!!! but I will keep up with the treatments.... a treatment every 2 weeks as you suggested. Lets see if the plant recovers. If not...too bad. I rather concentrate on my neps. they are my life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    geez, that's a nightmare, man. On the bright side, your big ceph looks awesome.
    From the pics, the soil moisture looks okay, but I know that when my plants are too waterlogged, pests develop. I actually stopped using perlite, since it really seems to increase algae/ fungus and bugs.

That whitefly video was actually pretty awesome, lol. However, I still don't think I'd want those infesting my plants.

WildBill uses neem oil on all his CPs- especially cephs. He said that he gives his plants a dose of it once a week to avoid any problems. It is pretty much your all-purpose insecticide, fungicide, miticide. From the insane amount of problems you're getting right now, I think you might want to get into a routine lack that.
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah! But I think I am past the freaking out phase. lol! no surprises anymore.....unless literally a beetle or something crawls out of the nep media. lol! At this point I am just looking for systemic treatment and trying to nuke them all.

yeah! the whitefly video was amazing. If only there were videos like that for scale and other pests.

I actually have an unopened bottle of neem oil I bought nearly 2 yrs ago. I have never used it. I guess I will first use the systemic to get rid of everything and then hopefully "IF" and "WHEN" the day arrives when my remaining plants are pest free ( its deemed to happen...either the plants will die or the pest will die...I will not let it stay ), I will start using the neem oil as you mention as a regular treatment. thanks for mentioning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPlantaholic View Post
    WildBill uses neem oil on all his CPs- especially cephs. He said that he gives his plants a dose of it once a week to avoid any problems. It is pretty much your all-purpose insecticide, fungicide, miticide. From the insane amount of problems you're getting right now, I think you might want to get into a routine lack that.
    As was mentioned in another thread recently, regularly treating plants with almost anything tends to breed resistance (not sure if that's true with oil treatments but the concept is valid).

Most folks that have been growing more than a year or 2 have had some of these problems. As Tony mentioned, most infestations come from new plants you're bringing in & then run rampant because the grower isn't doing periodic close inspections of the plants. Addressing both of these issues knocks out 98% of nasty bug problems IMHO....
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Merit for scale and mealy bugs. Safe for indoors as it is the same stuff they use for termites. They sell it in Bayer advanced.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neem oil should not be used on stressed plants.

I would suspect thrips on your Cephalotus. They are tiny and difficult to spot. Some species have a phase when they are actually in the leaf tissue.

Scale are sucking insects so a systemic like Acephate (Orthene) or Imidacloprid (Merit) will eventually kill the adults. The crawlers are easier to knock out with a contact pesticide like pyrethrim, not having shells or waxy coats to protect them.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123