User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I trim my Sarracenia Flower?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should I trim my Sarracenia Flower?

Hi. As some of you know, my Sarracenia Purpurea is flowering (the flower is opening up this week). However, I'm a little worried it's putting too much stress on the plant. There are no new leaves forming and what little leaves I have are very small.

I really want my Sarracenia to grow, but I've never seen a Sarracenia flower in real life before (especially among my own plants), so I'm not sure what to do.

Any advice?
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it depends, do you want to pollinate it and collect seeds later? if not then i normally just cut them off, otherwise, prepare to look at that flower for a while before you get any seeds from it.

~billy

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarracenia flower growth usually precedes new pitcher growth. More insurance that the pitchers will not catch the pollinators apparently. Cut them if you want to. Why not enjoy the lovely flowers?
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billylh View Post
    it depends, do you want to pollinate it and collect seeds later? if not then i normally just cut them off, otherwise, prepare to look at that flower for a while before you get any seeds from it.

~billy
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Sarracenia flower growth usually precedes new pitcher growth. More insurance that the pitchers will not catch the pollinators apparently. Cut them if you want to. Why not enjoy the lovely flowers?

I don't plan on getting seeds. I guess I'll trim the flower a week or two after it opens.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you plan on cutting the flower after it opens, the plant has already spent a great deal of time and effort putting up its stalk and creating gametes. You may as well just leave it alone, enjoy the sepals for about 2 weeks and just leave the tepals on the plant. These will be retained by the plant pretty much all year.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the flowers of sarracenia are very beautiful, if I had one flowering, I would just leave it be, the traps are much less interesting, IMO.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they're worth keeping, as well. Even if you don't want the seed, you can always give it away or put it in next year's NASC auction. And trying to get seed is a good learning experience. But anyways, they're just cool-looking flowers. At the very least, if you give them to a girl you can be pretty sure she's never seen something like them before. (Just make sure they aren't one of the varieties that smells like cat urine, ha.)
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in my opinion, they are THE coolest flowers in all of the flowering plants. Like the others say, do yourself a favor, polinate it, good experience, and cutting it now won't speed up the process of pitcher formation, i don't think. There's nothing to lose in leaving it and trying something new! OR, you could put the pollen up for trade, someone is surely willing to take some
    Grow list...
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114907

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast