User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus "die-back" and insurance policies . . .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    I agree with Ron. I have had tremendous success with leaf cuttings and pitcher cuttings in live LFS. Also I didn't use any fungicide.
    I have used both live sphagnum and the peat, sand, perlite, and charcoal media that is a popular standard for Cephalotus. My suggestion for using rooting hormone is geared toward the novice grower to encourage greater success than would otherwise be the case. Also, while far more common now, not everyone has access to live sphagnum.

In an experiment in 2005, I treated six Cephalotus leaves with either Rootone or Clonex (I can't recall which); all struck, but those treated with the hormones rooted an average of a four weeks earlier than those simply growing in media.

I have used both methods over the years and still encourage the use of rooting hormone with Cephalotus, Heliamphora, and Nepenthes . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know how you feel with the die-backs... my largest/oldest ceph died back severely about 3-4 years ago.

I'm getting a lot of pests now for some reason. Mealies, aphids, scale are all on my cephs, slowing them down but I'm using neem to get rid of them.

Yeah, hormones really seem to speed things up for cephs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The strangest thing about that die-back is that all of the neighboring Cephalotus are absolutely fine and totally unaffected; but the old plant is slowly coming back from all of its original and a couple of new points.

As far as pests are concerned, neem oil is the way to go -- weekly if need be. I had some plants outside that needed treatment last year and that stuff did the trick . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My beloved Ceph died about six months ago, I haven't seen any life in it, I think it's done for, but, whatever, I make sure it's watered and dries, just as if it were living. Who knows, might surprise me some day. I just let it die back, didn't take a pulling. I just can't successfully do it.
    - NeciFiX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    I have used both live sphagnum and the peat, sand, perlite, and charcoal media that is a popular standard for Cephalotus. My suggestion of using rooting hormone is geared toward novice growers to encourage greater success than would otherwise be the case.

In an experiment in 2005, I treated six Cephalotus leaves with either Rootone or Clonex (I can't recall which); all struck but those treated with the hormones rooted an average of a four weeks earlier.

I have used both methods over the years and still encourage the use of rooting hormone with Cephalotus, Heliamphora, and Nepenthes . . .
    Thanks for sharing this info. Very few folks take the time & effort to do actual A vs B comparisons. When someone makes the effort to do this - this provides very valuable knowledge.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    Thanks for sharing this info. Very few folks take the time & effort to do actual A vs B comparisons. When someone makes the effort to do this - this provides very valuable knowledge.
    Thanks for the kind words. Over the years, I have tried most anything and everything to get things growing. Before the advent of the internet and sources like Terraforums, there were few good resources outside of Slack's Insect-Eating Plants and How to Grow Them and, later, D'Amato's Savage Garden, for legitimate instruction.

Thankfully, there's no real shortage now . . .

A windowsill grower elsantaclause's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow looks like the Hummers giant cuttings are doing great =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A rookie & her insurance policies. She did a great job & got excellent results - it looks like each leaf even has 2 growth points...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast