User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus "die-back" and insurance policies . . .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cephalotus "die-back" and insurance policies . . .

Here is a yet another good reason for regularly taking leaf-pulls and divisions from your Cephalotus plants. A couple of months back, one of my older pots experienced the dreaded CSDS ("Cephalotus Sudden Death Syndrome") without so much as a clue of what had happened; and this was a pot that had produced eight to ten large healthy plants over the years -- and they are all just fine.

Cephalotus follicularis cv "Hummer's Giant" -- June 2008 leaf-pulls

Here is also a none-so-rare illustration for the novice grower; and why they shouldn't quickly dispose of any pot without first allowing some time -- a good couple of months -- for Cephalotus to regrow or, once again, show some sign of life.

There is an old saying, usually in reference to motorcyclists, "There are two kinds of riders -- those that have been down and those that are going down . . ." Unfortunately, that also applies to Cephalotus cultivation . . .

Cephalotus follicularis cv "Hummer's Giant"-- January 2009

“Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Learning How To Multiply Indigo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is Ceph Leaf pulling easy? lol somehow i m afraid to pull mine, its starting to making those thin leafs now i think i should pull the wide leaf to propagate some.. but just afraid might damage it loll...

btw great ceph =]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leaf-pulling is tremendously simple. Just gently tug away a leaf by pulling its end while pushing down at its base with a coffee-stirring stick or something similar (to gain a bit of the white rhizome tissue). Place the leaf in your favorite media after treating it with a rooting hormone and/or fungicide and allow a few weeks -- sometimes months for a callus to form or leaves to appear . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post, BigBella. It's always a good idea to take out an insurance policy.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I simply wished to illustrate that cultivation challenges face everyone at some stage; and that even experienced growers are not immune from misfortune. Plus, as those last photos show, the Cephalotus is returning from its seemingly-dead rhizomes . . .

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I accidentally severed a portion of the main plant while attempting to take one leaf. I plunked the severed part into live LFS and waited. Undaunted, it began to grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    Leaf-pulling is tremendously simple. Just gently tug away a leaf by pulling its end while pushing down at its base with a toothpick or something similar (to gain a bit of the white rhizome tissue).
    I know that I'm in the minority on this, but unlike VFT's, I have not found it necessary to do a 'leaf pull'. Ever since I accidentally pulled a mature, flowering Ceph in half while attempting to 'pull' a leaf from within a tangled mass of pitchers - I now use an exacto knife and just chop it off at the base as I gently tug on the leaf. I may still be getting a piece of the rhizome but that is no longer one of my goals.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    Place the leaf in your favorite media after treating it with a rooting hormone and/or fungicide and allow a few weeks -- sometimes months for a callus to form or leaves to appear . . .
    My highest level of success has come from placing the severed leaf in live LFS. When I do this, I also haven't found a need for any fungicide or hormone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indigo View Post
    is Ceph Leaf pulling easy? lol somehow i m afraid to pull mine, its starting to making those thin leafs now i think i should pull the wide leaf to propagate some.. but just afraid might damage it loll...
    I very frequently see this with new growers. IMHO, it's probably more appropriate for someone to be scared that they only have one plant without an insurance policy ... (I'm not recommending that anyone with a tiny, struggling ceph go and yank a leaf but when a healthy, mature ceph offers up a nice big healthy 'frond' - it's time to take out a policy...)
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Ron. I have had tremendous success with leaf cuttings and pitcher cuttings in live LFS. Also I didn't use any fungicide.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast