Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Darlingtonia: Spring 2009

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was a bit surprised that I had gotten seed myself. The anthers and bits of petals Jimscott sent me in aluminum foil were squashed paperthin by the post office. I had to let the moisture and oils from the petals dry out a couple days before I attempted pollination. I was afraid the flower would be past receptivity by the time I got to it.

Still, it is possible that I may have self-pollinated the plant accidentally while collecting the pollen and anthers for Jimscott. It is also possible that a native California bee did the job for me. It was found a few years back that the natural pollinator for Darlingtonia are one or more of the species of native California bees. The European honey bee is too large and not strong enough to get to the anthers. The anthers are recessed towards the base of the petals and are not easily accessible.

Which reminds me that I need to repot my seedlings.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From last year:

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Very nice guys. Darlingtonia is a species I have a lot of trouble with. My Lowes death cube that I picked up last year is still alive but isn't looking very good at all. Considering the cooler weather, I thought it would be doing a bit better. This is looking like a species I'm going to have to enjoy through pictures from others.

Thanks guys!
    Crystal
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissytal View Post
    Wow! Very nice guys. Darlingtonia is a species I have a lot of trouble with. My Lowes death cube that I picked up last year is still alive but isn't looking very good at all. Considering the cooler weather, I thought it would be doing a bit better. This is looking like a species I'm going to have to enjoy through pictures from others.

Thanks guys!
    Crystal
    Thanks. The "highland" conditions here in California certainly help. Rarely does it get too warm at night in Northern CA for the plants; and we're only a few hours away from their growing range.

My "sure-fire" simplest advice on growing Cobra Plants anywhere is to keep them in a large, drained, unglazed terracotta pot, and submerged in a generous tray of cold water. Keeping the roots cool to outright cold seems to be the most important factor in growing them.

Darlingtonia californica -- October 2008

“Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the Southern California coastal climate I live in seems to agree with them. If I lived in one of the coastal valleys the micro-climate would be perfect.

I have mine in unglazed clay pots also, although I need to up-size the pots due to growth. They are in a perlite/LFS mixture at least 60/40 perlite to LFS with a thick layer of live Sphagnum. I top water at least twice daily - once early in the morning and once in the late afternoon or evening. I rarely let them stand in water, letting evaporation do the cooling. When we have the horrid "Santa Ana" wind conditions (hot and dry) I may water with chilled water and let them stand in water.

Interesting to note that pot b which was a smaller, less mature division is producing the adult pitchers that grow nearly straight up. Pot a was a much more mature division still produces the adolescent pitchers that curve outward then up. I attribute this to the fact that it flowered last year.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, my cobra's go nuts here in summer....gotta love the northwest
    i defenantly back up the cold water in the trays.
    Hell, when it gets above 90 or so, i even add ice cubes to the tops of the pot. lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    San Fransisco fog do a Darlingtonia wonders, let us not forget.

-Clue
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay fog lol.
    Washington is constantly foggy, and rains alot....not much need to water the plants on my own, summer i do however need to water alot as it gets pretty hot. THANK GOODNESS i can use my tap water though now that ive had it tested.
    Here are my cobras, coming out of dormancy. i love how the previous seasons pitchers turn a nice deep red in this variety

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast