What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some dormant UNCC plants (pics)

I was at the UNC-Charlotte greenhouse Monday. Not A Number had asked me to take some pictures of Dr. Mellichamp's hybrids, so I thought I'd oblige.

A couple problems: First, they're all still coming out of dormancy, so John - the nice man who was showing me around and chatting while he worked - seemed pained that I'd take pictures of them in such a sad state. I explained that they were "famous" and people were curious. I think that eased his mind.

Nonetheless, he made me promise to come back in April for some "after" shots, and for their big Spring Sale. Heh...

Second problem - it was raining. I tried to take advantage of a lull and snapped a few quick shots, but the rain came back up strong so I took a few photos and ran back inside. They have MANY more plants than I was able to photograph. I will definitely go back in a few weeks and try to get shots of all their CPs, inside and outside, in all their glory.

But for now here are a few rushed, uncropped shots of some sleepy Sarracenias in one of their several bogs. If anyone wants to see better versions I have them in 2592 x 1944:

14ugozk.jpg

2z5qff5.jpg

30w0cue.jpg

5044s0.jpg

df7ts0.jpg

Very cool! Hopefully I'll be headed over there this weekend to see those hybrids and buy a few things from the plant sale.
Thanks for sharing.

boob tube, lol. That always makes me giggle. Also very cool!

Drool...

Dr. Mellichamp had S. 'Ritchie Bell' available last year. Fantastic plants! If you can go go!

i swear that moores melody looks like catesbai

Dr. Mellichamp had S. 'Ritchie Bell' available last year. Fantastic plants! If you can go go!

Your making me even more excited about going! Hopefully some good hybrids will be available.
Do they only sell the cps at certain times? Or are they there all of the time with the rest of the plants for sale?

Your making me even more excited about going! Hopefully some good hybrids will be available.
Do they only sell the cps at certain times? Or are they there all of the time with the rest of the plants for sale?

The sale is April 17 and 18, and there is some kind of special "sneak preview" sale on the 16th if you want to join a Friends of the Gardens program. I don't know what that entails.

The only things I saw up for sale now were a few mini-bogs they had inside in the CP room. I don't think they offer anything in dormancy for sale, and I didn't notice any individual plants set up for sale.

I've never been to one of their sales, but I understand they will definitely have CPs - though not all of them are necessarily grown there. I asked John if Dr. Mellichamp ever sold any of his hybrids, and he seemed to think those did not get sold or traded lightly, and not at all to the general public. My impression was that he'd probably have to know you AND like you a lot even to think about it.

John actually let me have a brief peek at a secret stash of non-public plants, but I must admit I really didn't know what I was looking at for the most part. The only thing I noticed for sure was a potted VFT that had two old tags on it. One said "Not For Sale" and the other said "Big Mouth - $100." Yes, it said Big Mouth, not Big Trap. I don't know if it's different, but it was impressively large, even dormant.

I was told that *sometimes* Dr. Mellichamp can be persuaded to part with things that aren't for public sale (though I don't think that includes the Sarracenia hybrids) if he knows the recipient isn't a total newbie who's going to kill it. Those people get the supplier-grown VFTs they order for the sale. :-D

LOL... maybe it would help to take pictures of yourself in front of your plant collection to show them.

Take another picture in like 3 months.

Thanks for the info grumpus. Must have been pretty cool going "behind the scenes."

LOL, we should make certified cp grower name tags instead. That way we could all be in on the know.

Back