What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I grow a Cobra Plant outdoors here in Florida?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
I'm considering getting a Cobra Plant. Would they be okay to grow outdoors here in Florida? I would grow it in a large clay pot because I hear that they keep the soil cool. I would also keep the plant shaded by my other plants.

If outdoors are not acceptable here in Florida, could I grow it on my windowsill?

Darlingtonia can be grown in almost any environment, provided that some simple planning is taken into consideration. Provide an unglazed -- porous -- terracotta pot, cool or even refrigerated water in a deep tray, some shading, and all should be well.

A friend in Texas grows them quite successfully in summer climates which exceed 100˚ during the summer . . .

Cool. I'll look into buying one.

As BigBella said, you should be fine.
I think a key factor in my success with them is the fact that they receive barely any (if any at all) hot afternoon sun. I do this by placing them on the east side of a pillar in front of my south facing house. This way, they recieve sun at all parts of the day but the afternoon (after 2 or 3 PM). If you can do something similar, I highly reccomend it.
I also reccomend directly top watering the plant with cool water, as opposed to the tray sytem.

I read in "The Savage Garden" never to keep them in undrained containers. Does this mean they hate very wet conditions?

I never had any luck growing this plant outside in PA. They always died in the summer. They where potted in glazed pots and I never tried any terracotta pots.
I tried again growing this plant inside in an orchid pot in a south facing windowsill where I've had success with it.

I read in "The Savage Garden" never to keep them in undrained containers. Does this mean they hate very wet conditions?

The primary reason why I suggest a tray system is that keeping the root system cool is the most important factor in Darlingtonia surviving and the key reason why they fail in cultivation; and the same goes for Heliamphora in that respect. If you're truly dedicated -- far more so than I -- and never forget watering on a hot day, don't use the tray.

If you get distracted by everything around you -- as I do -- go with the tray (for insurance) and overhead watering.

It's the lazy man's out, but there it is . . .

I didn't really mean not to use the tray sytem if thats what it sounded like. I just meant to top water and to let the water drain into a tray, as opposed to only watering the tray.
Sorry if there was any confusion.

Tell you what. I'm going to wait awhile before getting one. I'll be moving away for college this fall and my growing space is already pretty crowded.

I never had any luck growing this plant outside in PA. They always died in the summer. They where potted in glazed pots and I never tried any terracotta pots.
I tried again growing this plant inside in an orchid pot in a south facing windowsill where I've had success with it.

Don't laugh, but a plant sent to me from the West Coast not only survived for me, it did so outside, from spring through fall. I had it wintered in a co-worker's garage and last spring it flowered. I went on to produce a stolon and is again being wintered in the co-worker's garage. I hope to bring it and the rest of the temperates back in a few weeks. We may not be as warm as Red Lion, but we had a few days in the 90's last summer.

IMG_0787.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

DSCF1714-1.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

i live in maryland, the summer temperature here sometime reach to 95 to 99`F and i had successfully get it start pulling out new growth in shaded area. but it died for unknown reason.

Back