Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia potting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sarracenia potting.

Hey, I got a few - 10 - Sarracenia in the mail the other day and was wondering if it was alright to pot them up in pure Spag peat? I know I should have added something, but I didn't have anything and they were looking pretty stressed for being in the mail. Oh, I did the same with some VFT is that alright?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that will work. However, when it comes time to transplant them during the winter, you might want to add some sand or perlite.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by requiemsong View Post
    Hey, I got a few - 10 - Sarracenia in the mail the other day and was wondering if it was alright to pot them up in pure Spag peat? I know I should have added something, but I didn't have anything and they were looking pretty stressed for being in the mail. Oh, I did the same with some VFT is that alright?
    added something?
    you dont need to add anything!
    pure spag peat is fine all by itself..

yes, some people like to add additional things like sand or perlite, but these are far from necessary..and IMO not really necessary at all..

I like pure peat for the main mass of the pot, then LFS as a top dressing, to keep the peat from splashing around..

I tried a mix of sand and peat once..didnt like it..it compacted into a concrete-like mass..far too dense..
    I have tried peat and perlite too..didnt like it..the perlite is ugly, floats to the top, and gives no real benefit that I can see..

pure peat is great all by itself..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool. I had too order it from the other side of the country. At the moment I think I'm paying... $10 for 5L then there is the shipping cost on top. But, hey, at least I can get it now. The sars were hell cheap. I got there market deals at $2.50 each and the VFT at $1 each. You have to buy 10 of any item, but when its so cheap, who cares, right?

I was thinking about getting a kids pool, putting LFS on the bottom, spag peat on top (it will cost a fortune, I know) and then some fresh LFS (almost live) on top and trying to make a mini bog for the sars, but I think our summer sun might kill them outright. It gets over 100F here. Reckon they could handle it?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure you could grow sarrs in the 100s. When hey get that hot here I make sure the media is wet. The pool might need a hole in the side or a tube to pipe out extra water so that they are not waterlogged constantly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by requiemsong View Post
    Cool. I had too order it from the other side of the country. At the moment I think I'm paying... $10 for 5L then there is the shipping cost on top. But, hey, at least I can get it now. The sars were hell cheap. I got there market deals at $2.50 each and the VFT at $1 each. You have to buy 10 of any item, but when its so cheap, who cares, right?

I was thinking about getting a kids pool, putting LFS on the bottom, spag peat on top (it will cost a fortune, I know) and then some fresh LFS (almost live) on top and trying to make a mini bog for the sars, but I think our summer sun might kill them outright. It gets over 100F here. Reckon they could handle it?
    cool idea about the kids pool..it has been done successfully..but I would start WAY smaller..
    make a minibog out of some kind of plastic planter:

much more manageable (and cheaper) than a huge kiddie pool..
    unless you plan to get 1,000 VFTs sometime soon!

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, your probably right. When you say water logged, do you mean the water being past the root system, or the substrate being... wet/dampish?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they can sit in water up past the crown for a good while as long as you are meeting the sun requirements.

I am joining my fellow CPers here and growing my Sarrs in straight up peat now.

But I do like my VFTs in peat/sand so they are in a different minibog than my sarrs, but that's just me.
    Updated Growlist!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast