What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flower Dying?

Adam

Sarracenia Collector
My Sarracenia Danas Delight Flower has not opened yet, and it's looking wilted. Whats wrong?

You can try giving it more sunlight...you should tell us your growing conditions.

Pictures are always a big help as well, but I see that you're in the Northeast US so you still have some time before it opens. I'm in the midwest and I do not have any open yet either.

Flowers sometimes abort for no apparent reason.

But it could be damage from insects, weather, disease, lack of water etc.

You said in another thread that you bought the plant with the flower stalk already grown, right? That means it either aborted or postponed opening the flower because it is getting used to its new conditions.

Oh, thanksthe yellow dart. But i seriously think it's dying off. Ill show a pic later, but anyways i have it outside whenever it's not too windy, b/c i have a lowes greehouse (see my thread in terrariums and greenhouses.) So hopefully it's good, but it's browning.

I'm thinking a significant change to its conditions put the flowering past its comfort zone and just plain died. Next year...

I agree..its really of no concern..
especially considering the plant already had the flower stalk when you bought it..
it could be dying off just due to rapid changes in growing conditions..
not a big deal.

the plant itself will probably be fine, as long as you get it out in the sun as soon as its warm enough.

Scot

Oh, thanksthe yellow dart. But i seriously think it's dying off. Ill show a pic later, but anyways i have it outside whenever it's not too windy, b/c i have a lowes greehouse (see my thread in terrariums and greenhouses.) So hopefully it's good, but it's browning.

dont worry about wind..wind isnt a big deal..
temperature is more imnportant to watch than wind..

anytime its above 35 degrees, you can (and should) keep your plant outdoors..

Scot

Oh, Well the wind knocks over the greenhouse, and destroys it. It happened before. One of my pitchers snapped so we put rocks on bottom shelf, they are working, but we had 20-30 MPH winds the other day, so no going out then
Update:
I need not worry, as the sarracenia I got last year was late at flowering... here's a picture
SarraceniaFlowerBud004.jpg

Back