User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 15

Thread: Lost Cause?

  1. #1
    mcantrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Twin Falls, ID, USA
    Posts
    497
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Lost Cause?







    Long story short, the bigger one is a "S. x Judith Hindle" and the smaller one is a S. Leucophylla.

    Both were left out on the porch all winter long, in Zone 5/6 weather (Twin Falls ID, 83301), with very limited watering. The lowest temperature I personally saw was 8F. No winterization was performed or even considered, the plants were on a shelf on a somewhat sheltered porch.

    The pot was a standard plastic pot, the soil was a layer of dead LFS, a layer of peat/perlite, and a top layer (about 2 inches) of LFS.

    Are these a lost cause, or would some tender loving care bring them back to life?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,672
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NEVER give up on Sarrs! 99% of the time they'll pull through! Just give them good conditions and they'll recover just fine, I did the same with a S. purpurea venosa

  3. #3
    mcantrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Twin Falls, ID, USA
    Posts
    497
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchy87128 View Post
    NEVER give up on Sarrs! 99% of the time they'll pull through! Just give them good conditions and they'll recover just fine, I did the same with a S. purpurea venosa
    I had 2 S. Purpurea out there, one of them has sent out a tiny new pitcher from under the original rhyzome, the other one remains inactive but under the grow lights.

    The 3rd Leucophylla I already brought in and put in a smaller pot, it turned fuzzy white and hasn't done anything since.

    The brown roots are my major concern, they look dead compared to the pure white ones that my other plants have.

    I have limited space under the grow lights which is my major concern, I don't want to "waste" rack space on 2 (more) corpses. I bought some 3.5" square pots from Andrew but don't have a square tray to put them in, and the circular trays I do have simply won't hold more than 2.

  4. #4
    sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gibsonville, North Carolina
    Posts
    1,447
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "All I can say is... sham WOW!"
    I couldn't resist.

    Anywho... If there is any green left on the rhizome, do not give up.

    Pot them up, water them, and pray real hard.
    growlist

    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

  5. #5
    mcantrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Twin Falls, ID, USA
    Posts
    497
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theyellowdart View Post
    "All I can say is... sham WOW!"
    I couldn't resist.

    Anywho... If there is any green left on the rhizome, do not give up.

    Pot them up, water them, and pray real hard.
    There's not, no green whatsoever, but the old pitchers were still red and green before I gave it a haircut, so...

    I found some space on my rack. It's not elegant, but it'll do.

    How many months should I give them before writing them off? 3?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,672
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the rhizome goes mushy and brown is when the plant is done. I wouldnt worry about the roots being brown though. I've seen some terrible cases come back from the grave before. Leave any pitcher that still has coloration on, it may give it the slight edge to photosynthesize. I would set them outside though they'd have a better chance for full sunlight and wouldnt be so prone to fungus from indoors.

    If there's no color then just trim the pitchers and let the rhizome do the rest. Dont dig it up every week to check for growth or rot. Just leave it for a few months and if by June-July you dont see anything... it may have kicked the bucket

  7. #7
    sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gibsonville, North Carolina
    Posts
    1,447
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's still some hope. The inside of the rhizome may still be alive, and if the old pitchers were colored then you should be fine.

    I would give them at least until the summer.
    growlist

    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

  8. #8
    mcantrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Twin Falls, ID, USA
    Posts
    497
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchy87128 View Post
    When the rhizome goes mushy and brown is when the plant is done. I wouldnt worry about the roots being brown though. I've seen some terrible cases come back from the grave before. Leave any pitcher that still has coloration on, it may give it the slight edge to photosynthesize. I would set them outside though they'd have a better chance for full sunlight and wouldnt be so prone to fungus from indoors.

    If there's no color then just trim the pitchers and let the rhizome do the rest. Dont dig it up every week to check for growth or rot. Just leave it for a few months and if by June-July you dont see anything... it may have kicked the bucket
    Problem is, we're still getting freezing nights. =/

    My plant rack gets about 10K Lumiens + whatever sunlight comes in through the window. It's bright enough that it's turning all my Sundews a firey red, so I'm hoping it's enough to resurrect a dead Pitcher Plant or 2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. At what point is a nep a lost cause?
    By chris in forum Tropical Pitcher Plants  (Nepenthes)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-25-2007, 03:02 AM
  2. Lost my camera
    By back2eight in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-15-2006, 06:07 AM
  3. Order got lost
    By CNCreefer in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-25-2005, 09:07 PM
  4. New to CP and very very lost
    By Kate in forum Venus Flytrap (Dionaea ) Care Information & Tips
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-27-2002, 05:55 PM
  5. :(  lost?
    By Coma in forum Sundews (Drosera), Byblis, Drosophyllum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-08-2002, 05:48 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •