Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What can i do? Spider mites!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went ahead and tried a suggestion made several threads ago by Not A Number of drowning pests using CO2. I went out and got myself a big block of dry ice, put them in a container and added warm water to it. An immediate mist of CO2 gas rushed through the tanks, hopefully displacing all oxygen long enough to kill any pests. Not that I had an infestation to begin with, but it seemed like sound preventive medicine. So far the plants don't show any ill effects and they look clean enough (not that there was a problem to begin with).

NAN: Has this proven effective for you in eradicating pests in the past?
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    Bella...have u ever had to use it? did u have spider mite issues before? is there a specific recipe that has worked? I have heard that soap can be harmful to neps.
    I have used neem oil in the past for spider mites (since a number of my plants grow outside, pests are occasionally unavoidable); and I prefer to use it on more "sensitive' plants, such as Cephalotus and Heliamphora, over the use of Orthenrex -- though that can be used if the infestation is severe . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm! I guess neem oil and CO2 usage might be the only possible legal solutions for me. I might either try this old bottle first and if it doesn't work...try a new one. I might also try buying some solid C02 and try it out. lol! What the heck? might as well do what I can. I just sprayed the ceph down with water. I never spray water on the ceph...it grows in pretty low humidity.

HEy!! would u think fresh squeezed lemon juice might help? lol! I use green neem lemons in a lot of foods that i make for garnish. It gives quite a distinct and nice tangy taste. Ofcourse..its citric acid IIRC. I would assume insects won't like it. Neem oil although is probably from bark of the tree or its leaves.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm! I guess neem oil and CO2 usage might be the only possible legal solutions for me. I might either try this old bottle first and if it doesn't work...try a new one. I might also try buying some solid C02 and try it out. lol! What the heck? might as well do what I can. I just sprayed the ceph down with water. I never spray water on the ceph...it grows in pretty low humidity.

HEy!! would u think fresh squeezed lemon juice might help? lol! I use green neem lemons in a lot of foods that i make for garnish. It gives quite a distinct and nice tangy taste. Ofcourse..its citric acid IIRC. I would assume insects won't like it. Neem oil although is probably from bark of the tree or its leaves.
    The last time I had occasion to use neem oil, it was in a pre-made solution, Greenlight "Rose Defense," probably at no more than a 0.9% concentration; and that worked just fine . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm..... I guess I will try a 2% solution then. Thanks bella!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The GardenSafe concentrate is 70%. Instructions say to mix one fluid ounce per gallon of water.

http://www.gardensafe.com/NR/exeres/...5677C739CA.htm
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm..... I guess I will try a 2% solution then. Thanks bella!
    Greenlight "Rose Defense" is only a 0.9% neem oil solution and it is quite effective . . .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why did I think I saw you write 2%? sheesh! lol! I must be going crazy.

Anyways...hmm....a gallon eh?? Do u guys think I can just water and drench the CP media with that solution as well?

thanks,

Varun

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast