What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What can i do? Spider mites!

aaaah!!! I guess I will try to use water to first dislodge any that I can before using the neem oil. The ceph is too big and I don't notice any retardation in its growth. The only problem is getting the water through all the nooks and crannies.

You can do a bit more harm than good by "hosing down" a Cephalotus to rid it of mites. The neem oil solution is quite enough in terms of water; and there is little chance in causing crown rot in a finicky little plant . . .

yeah! but generally predatory mites come with "feeder mites". So...even if I do have a small infestation now....it will be adding more fuel to the fire. And for any chance that the predators don't TAKE..... I am basically inviting more problems.

They are also expensive and the minimum amounts would take care of a large greenhouse. Not very cost effective if you have only a few plants to treat.

Just so ya know, my bottle of neem oil says "insecticide, fungicide, miticide". It will definitely get the job done. There is no worry about damaging your plants either. I accidentally drown my baby ceph leaf cutting in a waaaaaaaay too concentrated neem oil soln, and the plant wasn't affected at all.

It is recommended that you use Neem oil every 1-2 weeks to ensure that pests never have a chance to develop.

yup! Finally I get some time off from my school now. I am planning on making some this weekend. I'll show ya guys more details as the weekend unfolds.

***Disclaimer*** I have only used this on orchids and have not tried it on any carnivorous plants yet. I have had great success with this and orchid pests, but not sure if any of the ingredients would harm a CP.

Here is a homemade solution (not my creation) that I use on my orchids with no problems.

10 drops dishsoap (urea free)
1.8 ml cinnamon extract (about 1/2 tsp.)
2 cups tepid water

I spray liberally all over the plant. It does have to come in contact with the bugs. I even pour it into the pot and then thoroughly flush the pot the next day. After a treatment or two it usually takes care of any bug. It has worked for me on mites, scale, springtails, and sphagnum gnats.

interesting. I'll keep it on record to try if I have problems with it. :) thanks!

Back